new puppy??

We recently had to put our 13 year old lab mox down. We have another dog that has always been around another dog. Some friends of mine have said that she may become depressed if she realizes that she doesn't have any companionship anymore. I do have 4 cats though. Can anyone tell me if dogs do get lonely and depressed? I have thought about another dog but didn't think that I should run out and get a new one. I still miss my best friend.

kiwi0613

Asked by kiwi0613 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Pets

• Yes dogs do get depressed adn your other dog will be lonely and miss the companionship. But I would give the dog time to go through the mourning processes. I would wait awhile before going out and geting a new dog. You will know when your dog is ready for a new friend, their behavior will return to normal, etc. Or time will tell if you even need a companion for them. There is no reason to immediatly try and get a replacement dog for your lost companion and probably not the best idea for your family or for your other dog.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I would wait and see how your dog reacts. He may enjoy being an only dog.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• yes- pets will miss each other. but sometimes it's best to give everyone a chance to heal before rushing out for a new pup. and an added suggestion- there are millions of unwanted adult animals in shelters that are already housebroken and pet/family friendly that are in need of homes- i have 5 dogs and they are all shelter dogs- i found that much more rewarding than trying to go through puupyhood when i didn't have the time.
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 3:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Some dogs get sad for a while, but some dogs handle it OK. I wouldn't run out and get another dog. Even if your dog does get sad, they could act totally different around a new dog. Also, if your current dog is older, and you do decide to get a "new" dog, it might work out better if you get a dog that is NOT a puppy. Sometimes older dogs will be aggressive toward puppies b/c... well, they're annoying.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Sorry :( Do the cats spend time with your dog? If not, a new pup would certainly help take everyone's minds off...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2008