How can I get my 5 month old to sleep through the night?

My daughter is a little over five months and she has only slept through the night about four times, since she was born. She is 100% breastfeed. I am a young mother, a single mother at that. I am only 22. I would like to be able to get some sleep at night. She goes to bed around 9 p.m. and wakes around midnight, then again around 3 a.m. goes back to sleep around 4:30 a.m. and back up again around 6 a.m. . I figured by now she would sleep longer at night. Also during the day she takes 3 naps they are about 30 min a piece, sometimes 45 min. for her third nap.
What should I do? I give her a warm bath at night I feed her. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO GET A GOOD NIGHT'S REST. Any suggestions?

crystal_d2144

Asked by crystal_d2144 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She actually has an excellent sleeping pattern. One of the things they really have to tell new moms: Eight straight hours is a thing of the past. **grin** (My son is nine YEARS old. Six hours is the max I get in a night...and more than that makes me stupid. You get used to it.)

Sleep when she does sleep, and leave things undone so you can catch a nap when she does. She will sleep longer stretches when SHE is ready...it has NOTHING to do with the calendar or how you feed.

You can check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." Also consider co-sleeping if you're not already doing it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think your baby has a good night routine. Our DD didn't sleep through the night until she was 10 months old. Our son is 4 months old and still not sleeping through. Good luck.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 5:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son's almost 8 months and he goes to bed at 6:30pm, get's up around 12am to eat, and 4am. Goes back to sleep from 4:30 until 6:30ish. MOST babies don't sleep through the night, not until they're toddler's..which is 1 and up. I wish you the best, and just know that your not alone. I wish more then anything I could sleep for 8 hrs at night again :( But I know my son is getting what he need's through the night, they're tiny bodies some times just need those calories and the nutrients. Most babies go through a growth spurt too..at 6 months there's one, so you will see she need's to eat through the night!
    Anonymous