Potty training

My 2 1/2 year old daughter is having problems potty training. There for about a week she did really good. She didnt potty in her big girl panties once. Then this last week, no matter what i did, she refused to use the potty. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to tell me when she has to go potty. She knows. She will be in her room playing and then as soon as she potties she will look at me and say "i pee mommy." This gets really frustrating. You only have so many nerves before you give up and put a pull up on them for the rest of the day. I made a little chart and bought some stickers so each time she potties in the toilet she gets to put a sticker on her chart. That helped a lot for the first 2 weeks then wore off. I need help!

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 4:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bribe her! use the sticker chart you have, and at the end of each week she does good, she gets a lollipop or small dollar store toy.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 5:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Each time she goes pee she get a smaller sticker and if she goes poop in the potty she gets a bigger sticker. She loves being able to put a sticker on her chart. I have noticed that on weekends when her daddy is home she does a little bit better than she does during the week when he is at work.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 5:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Knowing she went and knowing she has to go are two VERY different things. To us, it's obvious. You get that odd feeling, you know you have to go, you go. But we LEARNED that as toddlers. So the first thing you need to do is stop expecting her to know this. She doesn't know it - yet. Depending on how ready she was for potty training, she may catch on and learn this quickly or it could be months and months. Even once she learns to recognize that "i've got to go" feeling, she won't want to. She will want to keep playing, keep watching her TV show or movie, keep doing whatever it is she is doing instead of stopping her play, going to the boring old bathroom, and peeing. This is VERY, VERY normal and VERY, VERY age appropriate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• What do you do in the meantime? Put her on a schedule. Use a timer to remind the both of you that 2 hours have passed and it's time to pee. Or keep a very close watch on her, remember how long it's been since she last went, and get her there. Do not ASK if she has to go. She will always so no. Remember, going to the potty is not as much fun as what she is doing right now; saying "no" lets her keep playing and she knows it. Simply tell her "It's time to visit the potty". The timer helps since it is the timer interrupting her play, not you. It keeps it less personal.
    kaycee14

• We are struggling with the same thing with my nearly 2 year old daughter. I thought she had figured out the feeling associated with having to go, but I really don't think so have the abrupt turn around much like your daughter's. I've put her back on the potty schedule. Taking her to the bathroom everytime we switch activities, and we're getting back to where we were. Good luck! I'm hoping not to have to resort to the jelly bean bribe I had to use with both of my boys. ;-)
    JTLMOMMY

Answer by JTLMOMMY at 7:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2009