better birth control options?

I don't like what the pill does to me emotionally/hormonally/or whatever. We reverted to condoms, but hate those. NOT ready to do anything permanent though. I don't know a lot about what else is out there. I've heard of different methods, but don't know anyone who has tried them. Any one have any advice, or know the pros and cons of different methods??

called2bmom

Asked by called2bmom at 5:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Depo Provera worked out great for me.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The depo started out bad for me, I bled for 6 months straight (through my first 2 shots), then I lost my sex drive completely (and it was low to start with). Now I'm off the depo after a year and a half because the side effects were getting worse the longer I was on it. Also, depo is still hormonal so if you have problems with the pills you will probably have the same problems on depo.

I had an IUD (not mirena, I had the 10 year, no hormones one) but had complications and had to have it removed.

We are now trying natural family planning as there are no other options available that aren't hormonal (hormone will always mess with your drive) or too complicated.

Good luck on your search.
    Anonymous

• I use the Ortho Evra patch. I, too, cannot use any type of pills as it messes me up way too much. Both emotionally and physically (with each one that I tried, I would have a period for at least 3-4 mths straight).

I've heard with the Depo shot, it can take about a year to get out of your system if you want to TTC, so that wasn't flying by me. lol

So after looking at most of the other options, the patch is the only thing that has worked over the years for me. It's very low for hormones and you can basically be off it for just a week and start TTC. =) GL in your search!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 5:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have used the pill, Ortho Evra, Mirena, and the FAM method. I would say hormonal wise the FAM (fertility awareness method) worked out the best for me. Although you and your partner have to be on the same page as far as having kids goes. My husband did a "OOPS" (on purpose I might add) and we ended up pregnant. It is very accurate. lol. That one slip and it was a definite concieve. I currently have Mirena,love not having periods, but don't like some other aspects of it. Good Luck!
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 5:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• dont have sex? JK don't bash me y'all :)
    i use depo & i like it
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• IUD works for 5-10 yrs or when you want to get preggers which ever comes first. easily put in, and easily removed. no side effects, no hormones
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The Mirena works for 5 years. Depo did not work for me. I have used the Nuva Ring and that worked great. You just insert the ring and its good for the month. It also comes with a timer that tells you when you need to replace it with a new one.
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm currently on Ortho Evra and I love it. My SO does to cause he KNOWS i'm on my BC. Its easy to use and really hard to forget.
    DiVine87

Answer by DiVine87 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• YAZ is specially designed for people who get emotional/hormonal/depressed/anxiety/etc. it is designed to fight acne also and it shortens your period. I got REALLY emotional with all the other brands but I have been on YAZ for a year now and I do alot better. It has so many pro's. It's a pill form also. If you have any questions email me ;)
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I was on Depo for about 2 years but didn't like not having my period and always worried that I would get pregnant and not know. Plus, I got acne.

I used the patch for a few years and LOVED IT! Sure, my butt got red where the patch was, but it faded after a day or so, so I just switched cheeks each week.

Now, my tubes are tied, but if I had to, I'd use the patch again.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009