White House Blasts Makers of Sasha and Malia Dolls

Ty Inc., the company that makes Beanie Babies, has released a pair of new dolls named Sweet Sasha and Marvelous Malia, both with brown skin and brown eyes, according to the New York Times
The Obama girls are in good company: dolls in the TyGirlz Collection include Jammin' Jenna, Happy Hillary, Precious Paris and Bubbly Britney, according to the Times.

I am not sure where I stand on this. On one hand this manufacturer has every right to do this. I mean, it's not like the Obama's have hidden the girls away. For a while they were splashed on the cover of every magazine out there WITH their parents right next too them! On the other hand they are pretty young to be put out there this way. But Also if I was them I would think it was pretty cool to have a doll that looked like me!!

What do ya'll think......Do you think they should be yanked?

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20254728,00.html

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd be livid if someone made dolls of my daughter and was making money off her likeness. Ick.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 5:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think they should be grateful that people aren't ripping their kids to shreds like Chelsea Clinton or the Palin kids and deal with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think they should asked her first if that was okay.
    Anonymous

• Well, the girls are not exactly private citizens anymore! The Obama's should have thought BEFORE going forward with their run for the highest position in our country if they didn't want their girls to be in the limelight!

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. And it's not like the dolls are in bad taste.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh well, I guess they'll get used to it.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• By the way, I thought capitalism was a GOOD thing?! Who knows these dolls just might stimulate he economy!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think the only way I would be mad is if they had not asked me, the parent first. If they had asked me, and I had discussed it with my girls, and they were okay with it, I probably would be cool about it. But to do something like that without permission is asking for trouble.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• They in my opinion need to get over it. I would rather have a doll than a booble head with my childs face on it.
    Anonymous

• rolling on floorBy the way, I thought capitalism was a GOOD thing?! Who knows these dolls just might stimulate he economy!!! LOL

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• They are in the public eye and anyone who can make a buck because of it will try. I think it will be a good thing because they will be adored by girls of all colors. Part of their appeal to Americans is they are a loving family. Hopefully, it's all good. I don't think they should be pulled. It's part of the lifestyle they now lead. If it was mean spirited, different story.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2009