first finger foods

my 5 month old is very interested in food, he grabs at everything i have, i gave him a cracker today and he loved it, he loved it so much he actually bit a piece off of it of course i freaked but he was fine he was gumming it, is it okay to start him on those Gerber puffs things? It says not till they can sit by them selves he is working on it but not quite there yet! So yes or no and is there any other good finger foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pieces of bread, green beans, the gerber puffs, and oyster crackers. There are many things that can be used as finger foods.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I personally wouldnt start my child off on finger foods until a little later. But thats just me, I feel like the child needs to be able to sit and in the later stages with the baby foods. I feel that sometimes, while it is so tempting to try them on new things and see if they like it, its not always best for the kiddos, KWIM? But then again.. you are mom and this decision is yours to make, Im sure you will make the right one for you and your baby!
    kevstee

Answer by kevstee at 5:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We started with cheerios, graham crackers, puffs and small bits from our plates. Ours were a bit older though....6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Most often at 5 months you'd still be giving just formula due to there digestive systems not being ready for solids. However if you do choose to feed solids a bit early, you should stick to starting with basic jar or home made mushy foods..fruit and veggies. You should be testing each one for 3-4 day's to see if they have allergies at all to what they eat. If you give finger snacks without knowing what they are allergic to, you may have a hard time narrowing down what the reaction was from..due to so many different ingredients in the finger food you give..unless of course you've done the food test's alrd.
    Anonymous

• If you have done the food tests already, then I'd start with mushed up banana's..baby mum mum cookies, and perhaps some Gerber puff's. Anything that dissolves fast and easy, until they're used to a solid object in there throat.

Anonymous