What is happening? Computer problems.

I was using IE, but it would shut down and tell me it performed an illegal operation. So I switched to Mozilla. Everything was fine for about 3 or 4 months, then it started shutting down and telling me the same thing. What could be causing that? I tried running scan disk and defragmenting it, but nothing worked.

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I cant use google. I am running windows 98. I did spybot, and avast, and got rid of all viruses, but now my computer is running suuupppppeeeeeerrrrrr slow.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had been having a similar problem with my explorers as well. I downloaded Google Chrome back in the summertime and I haven't had any problems with it as of yet. You should try it out. It also runs a LOT faster than IE and Mozilla.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Have you run virus scans? spybot search and destroy?

Answer by Bmat at 6:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Defragging your disk won't do anything to help your IE problem. Running a defrag just reorganizes the contents of your hard disk - like reshuffling papers in a file cabinet.

Keep your virus software updated. Make sure you are not downloading unnecessary programs. Quick check - down by the time - see all those little icons? How many are there? A lot? You need to make sure only the ones you NEED are running - just run your cursor over them and make a list. Are these programs you actually use or are they just running the background taking up space?

Keep a notepad and pen right by your computer - always ALWAYS jot down the errors that you get. What were you doing, what was the error, and how did you fix it? Also, make sure you restart your computer at least once a day.

GOOD LUCK!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Windows 98 - blast from the past....

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

http://www.davesite.com/computers/windows/

It may be time for you to backup all your important data (docs + pics) and start over - do you have the "system restore" disks that came with your computer? Every so often, you gotta burn it down and salt the earth.

If you are just using your computer for surfing the Net and light word processing, don't feel any pressure to buy a new one. Just like a car, if  you take care of what you have, then it will last a loooong time.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out - I really do recommend the backup and system restore method at this point. It's radical but HEY - we're on CafeMom - we LIVE for radical, right?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2009