CAT ISSUES.......

OKAY HERE IS MY ISSUE...i have two cats...both bought and fixed from a shelter when they were 8wks old...that was back when my daughter was 3months..she is now 11 months..anyhow one of the cats is awesome sleeps with us cuddles plays etc...the other his brother crys all the time at night..sucks on his fur and lately has mounted his brother alot...now i dont know much about cats but do they do that like dogs??i am confused..i am on the verge of getting rid of him as he is getting really annoying at night...not letting anyone sleep ..i yell at him and he quits for a while he knows his name..oh and not to mention he is a scardy cat...pees on my dh when he goes to pick him up to pet him....they were not beat or abused by us....i am just getting really tired of him crying for no reason...they have food and water all the time...also he has gotten into the habit of jumping on my table and counter as his brother doesnt.help!!!!!!!!

nutymom06

Asked by nutymom06 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pets

• You might want to take him in just to get him checked out. My cats have never done the nervous peing thing??? As for the jumping on counters, my aunt put tinfoil on her counters so when the cat jumped up there the traction was not there and the sound freaked him out. My mom uses a spray bottle on her cat for scratching the walls and this broke her of it. It might work for the counter thing. I have seen cats breed and are usually kinda agressive (biting), and they mount from either way (doggie, or missionary) from what I have witnessed, but I have never seen one just do the hump thing when not mating.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 6:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes, cats can do the same dominance mouting that dogs do. They also "mock-fight" for dominance. It sounds like the "scardy cat" is actually trying to assert himself as alpha cat. Keep a spray bottle of water handy at all times and when he does something you don't want him to or is annoying, then spray him (preferably in the FACE). It may take a couple of weeks, but it will work. You also have to make sure the cat knows that YOU are the "queen" of your pride - ALL cat societies place the supreme alpha position into a female member so you need to be the queen in your mixed "pride" of humans and cats (as far as the cats are concerned).
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Don't use foil, cats like to eat shiny things! The mounting isn't sexual I promise you that, it's prob. more of a domination thing. Who's the "head" cat? Is he going outside his litter box that u know of. R u sure he's urinating? He could have a med. issue like...UTI or he's blocked.Any vomiting? He may be in pain. Take him to vet.

Vet Tech-Need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 8:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• That I know of he is going in his liter.And he pees only when my dh picks him up to pet and or to remove him from chewing something.Like he is scared.Almost hovers you know.I didnt think its sexual I am just confused as to why he did that.I am just getting annoyed due to his crying at night..only at night....he is not vomiting either..
    nutymom06

Answer by nutymom06 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The reason dogs or cats mount the other animals or even you.It's a form of domination.Also male cats will pee on human males for the same reason.The crying is because he is scared.We have four cats and one dog.When one of the cats is either in the basement or someother place in the house.They will meow,because they are alone and scared.When they do this we talk to them,saying "I am over here."Then they will come into the room we are at.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009