Politicians who don't show up for work

When it comes to the negative campaign ads, and the assorted claims they make about the opponents, how high does the "never shows up for work" one sit on your list of things to consider? I'm not talking about presidents who are "on duty" no matter where they are, but the lower positions like state or federal congress where not showing up to work means not voting on things, or local admin positions like governors, treasurers, secretaries, who don't have the resources a president does (meaning when they're "on vacation" they're not also spending 12 hrs a day in work meetings).

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it blows that they can keep their job when they aren't even doing it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• What about Harry Reid's do little senate?
    Report: Democrat-controlled Senate laziest in 20 years
    "For example, while the Democratically-controlled Senate was in session for 170 days, it spent an average of just 6.5 hours in session on those days, the second lowest since 1992. Only 2008 logged a lower average of 5.4 hours a day, and that’s when action was put off because several senators were running for president, among them Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain."
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/report-democrat-controlled-senate-laziest-20-years/493996

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• "On the passage of public laws, arguably its most important job, the Senate notched just 90, the second lowest in 20 years, and it passed a total of 402 measures, also the second lowest. And as the president has been complaining about, the chamber confirmed a 20-year low of 19,815 judicial and other nominations."
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• I just think it is BS because any other American gets fired for not doing their job, but Congress doesn't even need to show up and vote (which is what the fuck they get paid to do). I have an idea instead of taxing all of the rest of us to make money, why don't they just take a pay cut since they get a ridiculous pay check and get free everything but they aren't even doing their jobs? Then maybe the military could actually get a decent pay check.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• With Federal elected positions I think that if they don't want to work (not being sick or having a family emergency), then they should find something else to do that doesn't require that they be available for their constituency.

State elected positions? Well, I guess it depends on how they run their government. If the elected officials only meet at certain times of the year and the people serving in those positions still have their other jobs, then I suppose I would definitely want them available when state issues arise or during times prior and after session to explain or meet with their constituency about state issues. For instance, the Texas legislature only has one regular session within a two year span (this does not include special sessions called by the Gov.). Many of the people serving hold other full time jobs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• The primary ads are kicking into high gear here, and there's a new one against Lugar's opponent, who is currently the state Treasurer. All the ad does is show what percentage of meetings he missed for which committees, and the size of the budget for each. His spin machine is kicking into high gear trying to counter them, even trying to smear the guy who wrote the ad because he's a Log Cabin Pub, but it seems to me, if you're going to run for office, you'd make a point to show up to work every day for the year leading up to it, just to prevent something so easy from being used against you.

Then again, I'm one of those silly people who think you should have to resign if you spend more time campaigning than in the office you're elected to.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• Many of the people serving hold other full time jobs.

^^I may stand corrected.  I am looking for examples of this right now.  If I come up with some I will mention names and post links.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• I totally agree AF4, why should they make so much money,(esp. compared to those of you who risk your life, including our Police Officers) even when they do work they aren't doing an adequate job most of the time. My son is learning about gov. in school, and he asked me how Congress can pass laws that are unconstitutional, it's not supposed to be allowed. I can't answer that. If anyone else did something against the rules, they have consequences. *sigh*.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• According to the Texas constitution they would have to have cash flow from other sources:

Sec. 24.  COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES OF MEMBERS OF LEGISLATURE; DURATION OF SESSIONS. (a) Members of the Legislature shall receive from the Public Treasury a salary of Six Hundred Dollars ($600) per month, unless a greater amount is recommended by the Texas Ethics Commission and approved by the voters of this State in which case the salary is that amount. Each member shall also receive a per diem set by the Texas Ethics Commission for each day during each Regular and Special Session of the Legislature.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2012

• I also agree with AF4Life. If professional athletes get fined for not showing up for practice or a game so should our elected officials. If they aren't in Congress either at the federal or state level or out working with their constituants, they should be fined. They need to be accountable for their time or we should vote them out.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2012