Same sex marriage and adoption

My hubby and I keep arguing about this topic. He's okay with same-sex marriage but not okay with same sex couple adopting. I'm okay with adoption but not same-sex marriage. For me same sex marriage is tarnishing the sanctity of sacrament of marriage. I mean they should call it something else but not marriage. Now, I prefer that a child grows up in a loving home and have many opportunities even if that's same sex couple rather than roaming the street or be passed on from one foster home to the next. My husband would rather have the child grow up w/out parents than get teased by peers. Your thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depending on how you're raised, it is tricky to look at and accept same sex marriage. That said, it doesn't bother me nor is it my business. I don't know what it's like to be gay or lesbian and I imagine their world is tough enough without our judging them. I applaud anyone that wants to stay monogomous. I have a handful of lovely friends who are gay or lesbian and have kids or want kids. These parents are wonderful and loving and part of the PTA and incredibly generous with their time and money. They are also highly educated and high earners in their profession. It's different to see but they are as good a set of parents or better, maybe because they are under the microscope by the community and really have to get it right.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I am against both.
    Anonymous

• I am for both.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm all for both.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 6:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I disagree with both of you. I believe that same sex couples should be able to marry and adopt.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm fine with both, but I think adoption is more important than marriage in terms of which is pushed first. Marriage is a shortcut to things that can be done anyway through a lawyer. Adoption is about the welfare of a child, and making sure the child's interests are taken care of trumps expediting a couple filing power or attorney forms, IMO.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I am for both.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I highly agree with both. Marriage is a legal praceding in this country. It is only a religious action if YOU choose it to be. My husband and I are married... It has nothing to do with religion. SO how would someone be violating that?? It's a legal contract binding to people to one another until death or until legal actions end it... What does gender have to do with who enters in to a legal contract?

Adoption should be done by ANY couple or single person that is willing to love and care for a child. Again, sex and the sex of your partner should have no bearring on who can do this... There are way to many lonley children out there that need families for us to get picky about who can have them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I am 100% for BOTH.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I am for both. A person's gender has nothing to do with their ability to raise a child. They are humans like the rest of us and it is not our place to judge them. What would you prefer they call it?? I am sorry, but marriage is not exclusive to christianity. Nothing is being tarnished. Stop acting like a dog marking it's territory.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009