breastfeeding and biting

she has bittin me twice so far,,do i scream to scare her or what? she is almost 8months, her teeth arent up all the way,pleases no bashing and telling me to stop breastfeeding,i just thought mabe something worked for someone out here

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't scream but just firmly say no. raise your voice a bit but not too much just like trying to tell your 8 month old not to do certain thing like when they pick-up a lint from the floor and eat it or when they pick up a breakable item, you tend to stop them from doing it and say no no.
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 6:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think there's some sort of breast shield thing that's been invented to protect you from being bitten while she eats..I'd check the internet, do a search to find out where you can buy it..I think I've seen something like this some where. Only other thing I CAN think of is to pump and not feed from your breast anymore..I know that would suck due to the bond you'd have to give up that special time with her :( But she's had 8 full months of it, and that's really good!!!
    Anonymous

• I always told my son firmly NO and pull him away. Then let him latch back on and if he bit again I'd say NO firmly and pull him away and keep him away for a bit longer. Repeat as necessary, holding said child a bit longer from nursing each time. I only got bitten on THREE nursing sessions after the teeth came in and we nursed until he was 15 1/2 months old and had 16 teeth.

cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Anon, a breast shield is not purposed for that. Weaning the baby is not a solution either. Telling her "No" and removing her from the breast for a little while works. They bite at first and think its funny, but catch on quick when they realize if they bite they don't get any milk.
    twilliamson24

Answer by twilliamson24 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 10 mos. old and has only bit me a couple times since her teeth came in a few months back. I just told her 'No' firmly, said 'that hurts mommy' and took her off the breast for a few seconds. She would cry and then after a few seconds I'd let her nurse again. If she did it again I'd repeat the same words and keep her off the breast for a little longer. She got the message quickly and hasn't done it since. There's no need to stop nursing once their teeth come in and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just be consistent with however you decide to respond to it.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 7:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• 6:47 must be a FF. That's not the purpose of a shield and 8 months is too young to wean. Firm no, unlatch (as you're gasping for air & trying not to cry) another no-that hurts mommy and sit them down away from you. My son did it once and never bit again (except once when he was asleep and I startled him) He wanted to eat and not fool around.
    Anonymous