how many think it is wrong to drink beer in front of your kids???

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think its fine to have a beer or two if it isnt a nightly thing, and as long as you never get wasted drunk with them there. Having a beer with dinner or watching football is ok I think.

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• What kind of horrible parent would do such a thing to such an impressionable youngster??? (as I sip a glass of wine with my toddler on my lap...)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation, the amount of beer (or any other drink) that you have, the age of the kids, etc.

For example, I don't think you should ever get drunk in front of your kids. I don't think you should be sitting there, drinking, with a little baby in the house and nobody there to take charge of the child. I don't think that you should frequently drink in front of your kids.

However, to have the occasional beer or other drink, in a responsible, controlled way, is totally fine. It helps teach your kids that alcohol isn't some mysterious (and therefore tempting) thing, nor is it this horrible, evil thing (and, again, that temptation of mysterious, forbidden fruit).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We've taught our kids that there isn't anything wrong with responsible adults having the occasional drink, and they know that, on the rare occasion where we go out and are drinking, no matter how much, we have a designated driver, so they know we practice what we preach. We also occasionally have drinks around them, like, for example, we're having a bbq, and my dh might have a beer while talking to his buddies. It's our anniversary, and we have a glass of champagne to celebrate, that sort of thing.
    sailorwifenmom

• My Dad drank a lot in front of me when I was growing up so I personally do not drink at all in front of my kids. But I do not have a problem with other people having 1 or 2 drinks in front of their kids. As long as they are not doing it all the time and or are not drinking to get drunk.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Would you smoke in front of your kids? It's the same thing. I try to put my wine in a coffee mug on Friday nights until they go to bed but no judging here.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Not wrong. As long as your not getting drunk and acting like an a&& in front of them.
    Anonymous

• JEANCLAUDIA.....Hiding it is worse then doing it in front of them I think.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• "Would you smoke in front of your kids? It's the same thing. I try to put my wine in a coffee mug on Friday nights until they go to bed but no judging here."

How so? Smoking in front of a child can harm them through secondhand smoke. How does drinking a beer physically affect them?

Unless you are drinking to get drunk, I don't see an issue with it.
    InkedVixen

Answer by InkedVixen at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I will have a glass of wine with dinner, hubby will have beer sometimes. My son is 9 and knows that we drink occasionally, but he knows it is something only grownups can do by law. He has asked questions about it and I explain things to him honestly. I don't hide things like that from him, but of course I drink responsibly and plan to teach him to do the same when he is old enough to drink.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009