How do I change my daughter's last name?

Right now she just has her father's, but I really want it to be hyphenated with both of ours.

ellaura

Asked by ellaura at 2:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• All you have to do is go down to the court house with the birth cert and prove that you are her mom and he is her dad and you want the name hyphenated. I am not sure if there is a fee, but if there is it isn't much. It is a pretty simple task. It won't change on her birth cert but it will change on her SS card. Hope this helps.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 2:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• You can probably get it done at the Social Security office... bring her birth certificate, her current SS card & your ID...
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• How old is your daughter and how does she feel about this? If she is very young, I think I would wait until she is older to make this decision.
    mommabetho

Answer by mommabetho at 4:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I just changed my son's entire name, including his last name. You need a court order from a judge. There is a lot of paper work, and money involved. The steps are simple, however there are a lot of them. It took me about six months, and I spent about three hundred dollars in the process. It is worth it.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 11:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Just wanted to add - If you aren't married to your child's father, I think your child should have your last name JMO.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 11:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2008