I breastfeed, and just started mt baby on cereals. Right now I pump and mix it with the cereal, but this seems like a lot because I pump at work, come home pump again and then mix it, is there an easier way of doing this? And how much milk should I be missing with the cereal? and when can I thicken it up?

Saniyasmom8908

Asked by Saniyasmom8908 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm going to give you an out-of-the-box answer.

Forget the cereal. baby may as well be eating the box...the cardboard is equally nutritious.

Try mashed banana instead. No need to mix with ANYTHING. Peel, mash, serve...ALWAYS neusring first and the solids after. That will be the order of eating all the way to the first birthday...the solids are really not important but the breastmilk is.

I know that's not the answer to your question but please tryst me...it's a better, easier and more nutritious way to introduce solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i cant answer the breastfeeding question-unless there is any way you can start her on formula half the time. as far as the cereal goes, start it off kinda loose, but not runny. once you know she is doing good on that then maybe you can thicken it up.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i breastfed and pumped at work, but didn't at home unless it was on the weekend. i mixed the baby cereal with juice. if they are old enough for cereal they are old enough for juice, plus it helps them move along as far going to the bathroom.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 7:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It is somewhat a pain all the breast pumping we gotta do but ultimately its the best for the baby. When I really dont have time to pump and need some for the cereal occasionally I will mix it with water. If I add juice its only a tiny bit for flavor because Ive been told juice isnt that great for babies. It has too much sugar among other things. Im not knocking anyone who gives their child juice. Its just my personal choice not to or to atleast limit and/or dilute it when I do. As to the amt of milk to mix with the cereal I just make it close to the same consistency as regular oatmeal cereals are or a tad thicker. If your baby is doing fine with whatever consistency you have it at try making it a little thicker and see how he does. Id just be careful not to let it become pastey. Well Im no expert at any of this but figured Id try to help with my opinion. Everyone just has to find what works for them and their baby though.
    TylerDsMom

Answer by TylerDsMom at 8:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can make it as thin or as thick as you like. My son liked it really thick from the start. I did tablespoon of rice with about 1 1/2 oz breastmilk.
    And I guess I don't understand the rest of the question... what are you wanting to make easier?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009