Why do some people turn uppity once they find religion?

I have a very close friend of mine who I used to consider quite "spiritual" (for lack of a better term). Whenever she was around she brightened your day... made you smile. She literally would give out "Hug coupons" to make people stop to love.

Now she's in a "church". Since she started reading the bible everday, she continually mails people scripture, and points out what they're doing wrong in their lives. She used to be loved by all of her syblings... now, they can't stand to see her come home for the holidays.

I wish I could say this was a unique case, but I know quite a few who've become "holier than thou" once they found religion.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 7:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• One day God will convict her on it, I'm sure. I think it's just because she's starting out with something new and different like church and reading the bible all the time.
    My husband and I were like maniacs when we first started to go to church. We tried so hard to do right but if we argued we'd both point things out to each other like that...That's when we were "baby christians." Just learning things. Now we've both grew wiser when it comes down to things like that.
    It's okay for her to send "inspirational" messages and things like that but if she is writing condemning messages nit picking at your flaws then that is a problem.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Religion is the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. You are seeing it first hand. Unfortunately I can offer no other explanations for you. She's been brainwashed into their way of thinking. That's why I am proud to be 100% religion free. Sorry for the loss of the person who was once your friend. Has anyone tried talking to her about it??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Personally, I believe its because they've found something that fills whatever void they thought they had and cant turn it off so it overflows.
    Unfortunately it tends to overflow in a manner that is disrespectful of others.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• For heaven's sake - HA!

She's a newbie and she'll calm down.

My sister converted to Catholicism and she was holier than the pope for a while.

Just stay in her life and be a positive influence.

This too shall pass!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had this problem with MYSELF when I went back to Christianity. But I was not trying to be uppity or lose friends. I was trying to find my balance. It's like this...one day you go to the store and find this delicious candy bar and its so good you just have to share it with everyone else! you keep trying to give it to people even when they don't seem to want it, but you can't comprehend why the wouldnt want something this good!! It's really something like that.
    If you really love this friend, try not to judge her. Let her know kindly that you would appreciate her not judging you but know that she really doesn't mean any harm by it. She will calm down eventually once she finds her balance.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Wait a minute here! Why are you bashing her for finding herself in God? It sounds like her new church family is pouring alot into her, not just your version of what spirituality is but what the bible says spirituality is.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• This actually ripped my DH's family apart. My MIL is catholic, and she constantly berates my husband and his brother for not returning to the catholic church. She would consistently bash on myself and my SIL because we were non-catholics (I'm UCC, my SIL is Methodist). She even told my son that Jesus was not in my church! (totally false!) This is why people who literally try to shove the bible down others throats drive me batty. I wish they could realize that by telling everyone else how "wrong" they are if they don't follow the bible to the letter, they actually drive people further from it.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It's not a holy spirit - it's the candy bar. This happens all the time and it's nothing to do with religion. It's about people learning something and not understanding why others don't want to know, and people who haven't learning something being repelled by someone else's enthusiasm, because if it was that awesome, EVERYONE would already know about it. I use a coupon svc. I save over $10k/yr on groceries. I can show someone a receipt for $30 and $200 in free groceries and all they do is look for the catch or make excuses. If it was THAT good, everyone would already do it. New TV show, same thing. New book, same thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Relax.

Your friend will calm down. She's new to this relationship. If you've ever been around someone who is absolutely in LOVE, then you should recognize the symptoms. LOL!

Give her space, and check your own emotions too. {Uppity} goes both ways.

She's probably dealing with personal issues that as nothing to so with anyone else; give her space and time.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would give her a little time. It's the excitement of finding something new. If you feel you must talk to her about it, show her how happy you are for her, but you are just as happy with your life, and want to hear the good things she's learning. That you hear enough about some of the bad things people do in the news.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009