when is it time to start feeding your baby cereal

my son is almost 4 months. he is a big boy almost wheighing 15 pounds. do you think it is time to start him on cereal? and how many times a day do I feed it to him?

momofaprodigy

Asked by momofaprodigy at 8:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 to 6 months. You can start at 4.
    Anonymous

• 3-6 months. 2oz. 3 times a day
    Momof4Girls30

Answer by Momof4Girls30 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Never. Honestly dont feed your baby rice cereal and if you decide to do it anyway b/c who the heck am I, then wait until after 6 months. You start feeding him cereal and tehn you will be back on here asking why is my baby constipated and what can I do about it. Tons of those questions here. Cereal is a filler and it is crap especially if it is non organic. Go for oatmeal if you insist on something or start the 1st foods. I dont want to assume but are you formula feeding or bf'ing? If you are Bf'ing that is sufficient for the 1st 12 months of life. I EBF my son until 10 months. Doctors are old school and they will say 3-4 months to start but I dont believe babies sysyems are able to digest that. It just isnt natural.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I started with all 3 of my kids when they weren't satisfied with either formula or bf anymore. Never before 4 months though. Usually it was somewhere between 5-6 months.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my dr told me you can give them rice at 3 months. and you should give it to them before bed. and thru the night.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• For the record...formula feeding is sufficient for the first 12 months of life as well.

It is recommended cereal (any cereal) be started between 4-6 months. However, you as the mom make the final decision and can do it when you feel it is necessary.

Cereal in and of itself is not necessary. It is possible to skip cereal, to skip baby food and go right to table foods when the baby is older.

However, (personal opinion follows) I think it's easier to use the cereals and babyfoods for the trials to make sure there aren't any food sensitivities. I had one who could only tolerate rice cereal as an infant and two who could only tolerate oatmeal. Now, however, they can eat any of the grains.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009