induction

well it looks like im going to be induced in about three weeks or so. the dr said at my 35 week appt they can schedule my induction date. do i get to pick it or do they do that? and will i give birth that day or the next? the said ssomething about softening my cervix the first day. how painful is all this and should i just wait until about then to pack our bags? ill be anywhere from 36 to 37 weeks at that point. and this is for medical reasons. is induction as bad as everyone makes it out to be? im scared. my husbands not around and wont be so im just really nervous. id like her to be born when she wants to but i dont think i can make it thta far with all the pain im having.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I went through this. They will probably schedule you depending on beds they have open. The softening of the cervix is uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. It is a gel type they will put on the cervix. They will probably run an IV of pitocin to induce. Honestly, I had no problems. I had my son 4 hours after they broke my water and it was like 2 hours earlier they started softening my cervix and the pitocin. However, that very well could differ dramatically. Stay calm, you will be ok!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I don't recommend an induction for a healthy pregnancy. By forcing your body into labor it can put a lot of stress on the baby, and your body, and it increases your chances of a c-section. Your date will depend on you, and your doctor. If your induced it will be on a day when he can be there. You aren't guaranteed to deliver that day, the next day, or the day after. It could take longer with an induction because your body may not be ready.

You really shouldn't get induced that early. A babies brain is about 1/3 smaller at 36/37 weeks then it is at 39 weeks and it's not guaranteed to even work or that your baby is developed enough to be born.

I HATED my induction. It was for "medical reasons" but I really didn't need it. It was just awful and not something I would want anyone to go through.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had an unnecessary medical induction, too. To do it over, I wouldn't have. If you really want to avoid it, there might be a way!
    Like was already said, you don't pick the actual date, probably, and baby will come that day or the next depending on how well each drug works.
    Because that is so early, you're much more likely to birth by cesarean if your body refuses the inducing.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009