salami...

I was wondering if anyone ate deli meat like salami or ham during pregnancy? I just had 3 pieces on a sandwich, but I heated it for 11 seconds...
I'm 33wks6days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah..the thing about deli meats is kinda like an old wives tale..this is my 3rd and none of my drs understand why they still say dont eat deli. its all fine, i ate all deli meats, ate lots of subway and my kids are fine.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It may be the salt and chemicals in deli meats such as salami that are warned against. But I'd think that moderation, as long as there is no salt restriction in the diet, would be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 8:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Honestly, i think there is such an uproar about not eating certain foods because if the Dr's don't tell you about it, they can get sued.
    Sure, there can be harmful bacteria, but if your generally healthy, why stress?
    I've eaten sushi and deli meats with no ill effects what so ever. And frankly, I doubt in Japan, they are telling women not to eat sushi.
    Sorry, I'll get off of my soapbox now.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It's not an old wives tale, Listeria is the reason not to eat deli meat while pregnant. I think the thing is most of us have never heard of anyone actually getting sick, I know I have not.

http://www.about-listeria.com/ Scroll down to "who is most likely to get it.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/Protect_Your_Baby/index.asp

It's really up to you though if you feel comfortable or not. I did eat sandwich meat with my other kids and never got Listeria. This pregnancy I have microwaved the meat before eating. It's really not an incovenience.

Anyway to answer the OP microwaving killed any bacteria so you should be fine. Don't fret.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009