how do I pump?

I am breast feeding my 4 month old boy. when i try to pump, nothing comes out. i know he's getting enouph to eat, but for some reason pumping isnt working. I have been having to give him formula when i go out. i got my pump tested, and it works fine. any advise? i dont want to have to feed him formula.

momofaprodigy

Asked by momofaprodigy at 8:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I once heard someone suggest turning up the suction on the pump until you achieve let down. I would play with the settings. I found that high suck low speed works best for me. Also try pumping first thing in the morning when your supply is at its highest.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Are you pumping after he eats? If you are, then he may be draining you. Pump first thing in the morning and sometimes it can take several minutes for your milk to letdown. What helps me is taking a washcloth or even a diaper works better and soaking it with reallllly warm water and hold it over your breast for minute or two and the milk comes out much easier. Or pump right after a hot shower. Good luck and don't give up:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Also, If you can pump with your baby around (or something that smells like your baby and a pic of your baby) This helps tell your body it's time to let down milk.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Try pumping one side while he eats on the other, so that you have letdown when you pump.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009