Shot Records

My husband does not have a shot card. He was born in Hereford, TX & lived in Gonzales, CA, Hereford, TX & Amarillo, TX. So, how can we obtain a shot card or does he really need one?

texas_mama

Asked by texas_mama at 8:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Health

• I don't know what a "shot card" is, but if you're talking about immunization records you would have to contact his old doctors for the information. That's the only way. There's no central place where those records would be stored.
    Anonymous

• More likely than not, his childhood immunizations are no longer any good (unless they need to know about any weird ones for some reasons). For more recent immunizations (the past 10-15 years I'd say) you need to contact any doctor or hospital that may have issued them and ask for the record. Be prepared, if he is not a current patient, many doctors only keep medical records for past patients for up to 5 years. It worse comes to worse, what he can do is see his current doctor and ask for lab work to test for the immunizations he is supposed to have. Certain lab tests can tell if you are immunized against certain diseases. He can use that paperwork in place of his shot record. There are some shots that if he can't remember having them in the last 10 years (tetanus for example) they'll need to be redone anyway. His doc can guide him with that.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• to add...immunization records are not generally needed unless an employer asks for one. For example, I worked in health care and was a college student. Both institutions required that I have proof of certain immunizations. If he doesn't work or attend any type of job or campus requiring immunizations, he won't need to go through all of this research. I probably would find my immunization records and get it all figured out if I were him though. It is useful information for his doctor to have as well as for him to have if he is ever injured or exposed to a biohazard.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009