How do you control the screaming fits without going crazy at the same time?

For The last Two nights my daughter has throwen a fit that I could not get under control. I have had to get my mother to come over and help. It gets so bad that I just want to sit in the middle of the floor and cry. I have to just walk away and take a breather for a minute. She is normally a calm little girl that keeps to herself so I have no idea what to do. I have tried taking the TV away from her and standing her in the corner, putting her in time dout and letting her throw the fit and then talk to her after.

supermom_2

Asked by supermom_2 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe a swat on the butt or ask her whats wrong
    Anonymous

• My son likes to scream. I make him sit on his bed until he's ready to talk, not scream. He usually screams for a while longer and then, once he's calmer, we can talk about it. I also tell him in a stern voice that I will not talk to him while he's screaming at me. He is 3 1/2. It works pretty well.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I agree with the other posts. You cannot get rattled by these tantrums. Tell her you understand she's mad and then put her in the "naughty" spot like Supernanny and let her scream it out. Tell her you'll be happy to talk when she's quiet and in the meantime she can sit and yell. It is important to let her know that you understand she's frustrated. They need to know you understand their emotions and give her a pillow to hit. Seriously!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My DD's both know that if they want to do that they have to go to their room and shut the door. At first they didn't listen so I picked them up and placed them in there and shut the door each time and after about 4 times of getting placed in there they went on their own. After they are finished we talk about what happened and why. We do that after timeouts too just so they aren't confused about why they were punished.
    TessyCat

Answer by TessyCat at 12:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Put her in a safe place and let her scream it out. You step away and count to 100!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Okay - here's what I did when my son's tantrums when up a "notch" to the point of extreme (physically and verbally) - I threw water on him. Yup - I shocked his body with water to get him back into control of himself. I gave him a chance to stop by himself but if he didn't, I just calmly put some water in a cup and poured it on him. He hated it, but it was a wake up call to get himself back under control - he didn't like being out of control any more than I did, so I helped him find a way back. This went on for about 4 months - since then, he has been able to keep his control a lot better without me doing anything more than turning on the water faucet - and I haven't had to do that for about 3 months...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2009