Does this make me a bad person/aunt?

I love my niece dearly. Her father is in Cali and she is here in Ga were we are. When she was little we would take her all time and spend time with her. Her family is a little-dysfunctional- to say the least. I will not share those things but trust me it is not a happy situation over there and I have always been there for her along with my DH, her uncle.. Anyway she is now 18 and her boy friend has been living with her now for about months. Anyway I have always initiated visits other than the traditional Christmas visit... she called me out of the blue tonight and wants to see me tomorrow... is it bad that my first thought was 'Please don't be pregnant"? I just HOPE nothing is wrong!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think that's a realistic auto response. Since the visit is out of the norm, of course you're going to assume the worst lol.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• I am actually a little on edge about this visit. I think DH is too. He keeps asking me what I think she wants... I keep saying I don't know. Then I ask him what he thinks and he says the same thing. lol. I am sure we have had the same thought but don't want to say it out loud.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• It's pretty normal. I'd probably have the same fear. Hang in there...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• Don't blame you at all
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:15 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• When you care about someone and something out of the ordinary happens, your first response is always fear. No, that doesn't make you a bad aunt, in my eyes anyway. Maybe she just had a fight with her mom or BF & wants to talk it through with you? I have an aunt who babysat me a lot when I was little, & I still go to her to talk when I need somebody a little re,over from the situation. Hugs, & hope that everything goes ok tomorrow!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• Sorry,that should've been removed
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• Good Luck! Hopefully it'll all work out!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• It's normal to feel that way. Good luck with your visit. Keep us posted.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:25 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• no it makes you a very good aunt who only wants happiness for her. Perhaps they are and if they are, we know you- you will give her words of encouragement and love. You will be torn and possibly sad but as you have tried to be there, continue- she is coming to you for what ever it is because of the love you ahve shown her in the past.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2012

• Nope, you aren't a bad aunt, you are worried about someone you love. Hope all goes well tomorrow.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2012