Please help

ok....so heres the deal....I have been breastfeeding exclusively since my DD was born. She is now 5 months old and I feel that she is not satisfied. For example, today when she woke up she nursed. At about 10 she ate 4 oz. with a FEW flakes of rice cereal (which I don't like doing) but she is never full. At Noon, she nursed and didn't take her nap. So I pumped and gave her the 4 oz. that I pumped and I put a FEW more flakes of cereal and she took a 2 hour nap. She wakes up fussy (which she never does) and I tried everything with her. She is teething (2 have come thru), so I gave her a teething tablet (didn't work) and then tylenol about an hour later. She was still fussy. Offered her the milk I had pumped (5 oz.) and she sucked it down like she hadn't eaten all day. why does she not seem satisfied. I have really rich milk and I eat really healthy. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I satisfy her?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 8:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're doing fine. She's not supposed to seem satisfied...it keeps your body producing. Teething makes them into little monsters.

The ONY indication of a problem, EVER, is a drop in dipes. If you're changing her about5-6 times a day you're doing perfectly fine. Baby's behavior is never an indication of anything.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Quit pumping and counting ounces. Nurse often & on demand without time limits. Let her up your supply & decide when she's full. She's probably having a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

• She could be going through a growth spurt. Have you started her on cereal yet...outside of the bottle? She may be ready for more than just breastmilk. The fussiness could have something to do with teething also. With my 2nd son, the teething tablets didn't work for him so I just used the numbing cream.

I would just keep nursing her when she is hungry and maybe start giving her some cereal in the morning or at night before bed or even both.

Good luck!!
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• anon.....Im not giving her time limits or counting. I was just doing that to reference it so you would have an idea.....I feed her whenever shes hungry and when Im at work I can't nurse on demand and Im scared Im gonna run out! How come people that post ANON are always so rude??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Calliesmommie, if you are nursing on demand, it is possible she is growing. Babies will go through periods where they act like they are starving and then never seem to eat. Nurse, don't pump, so your body can regulate with her needs. (Unless for some reason you need to pump.) Make sure YOU are getting enough rest and water ect to meet extra demands on your body. It sounds like you are doing fine. Do you feel you need the rice? It may have upset her stomach. Just a thought.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2009