My dogs butt smells like rotten fish

Literally.. you just walk by him and he smells like he himself as a yeast infection.. it's so disgusting! Plus he's a boy! I don't know what to do?! What can it be? After I bathe him (which I do weekly because of my allergies) there is still a hint of it, but it's not too bad.

It literally makes me sick. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pets

• maybe he does have a yeast infection.
    take him to the vet.
    Anonymous

• What breed of dog is he? It is possible that he has an infection of some sort.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It sounds like it's his anal glands. They are 2 pea sized glands right inside the anus at 4 & 8:00. They r the scent glands. They naturally express w a normal b.m. His may not be emptying and it can be uncomfortable. Yes it's a horrible smell. Does he look swollen at all around his anus. I would take him to the vet and get them expressed. It's really cheap.

Vet Tech-Need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 8:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My female lab mix is the same...you can either take to the vet or petsmart...its the Anal glands. They need to be expressed. When they poop its supposed to do that but sometimes it doens't. they sometimes need to be removed if they get infected or anything. take him to the vet.bathing him wont help.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Luvinher is right. The fishy smell is anal glands. Get them expressed before they rupture on your carpet!!
    hms1223

Answer by hms1223 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If definitely sounds like the anal glands. You can express them yourself just wear gloves....and hold your breath. But if you aren't comfortable then take them to the vet and have the vet do it,thats better than risking hurting the dog and he won't like it anyways.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 3:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• YUP we take our dog to be squeezed!!! ANAL GLANS FOR SURE!!!! I saw them do it one time, and i will never watch again!!!! But the cost is not bad, and you wont have the smell!!!
    naynkiwismom

Answer by naynkiwismom at 4:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I am a professional dog groomer.Your dog definately hat to have the anal glands expressed.It is cheaper to get it done at a dog groomer rather the vet. It is really gross to do it your self,but the easiest way is to do it in the bathtub. Gently squeeze the but hole on the left and right, beware that it can shoot up to 4 feeet if it is really full. make sure you was it really well with soap after to get rid of the smell.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh my do not do this on your own...the smell is something that will take forever to leave your house.

I worked for a vet for several years in college and everytime he expressed an anal gland the smell in the room was horrendous, not to mention if can be a bit on the painful side sometimes so your dog might yelp a bit and there might be a blockage or infection that your vet could assess if he is doing it
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 7:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ok this is simple...all dogs have anal glands they release them every so often..but i can tell you if your dog male or female is constipated it can happen every time they poop and have to strain...you can release the glands for your dog not something i would do though too gross but try a doggie laxative and it might help....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2009