Cast Iron question:

When you use your cast iron pans or dutch oven, do you put oil on it every time? I seasoned my dutch oven, used it and washed it. Dried it on the stove. I am wondering, should I apply a new coat of oil to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Rub it with a little oil after any cleaning. Never scrub it. Use minimal dish soap and only when needed. The reason for the oil is because iron is actually porous...if you don't create a barrier of oil (or shortening, lard, etc), water can into the pores and rust it from the inside out. The oil essentially waterproofs the pan. I have a cast iron pan that was my Grandma Ma's. It is more than 100 years old, having been passed down to her by her Ma. It is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. I'll be able to pass it down to my daughter or my grandchildren and know they'll get a lifetime of use from it as well.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I do....after using it I put a little oil in it and turn the stove on low.
    kymbernv

Answer by kymbernv at 9:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I never let my cast iron get totally 'dry'. I have skillets that are in excess of 15 yrs old. Well seasoned, nothing ever sticks. I still have two hard and fast rules..#1- never, ever 'scrub cast iron. If something stick put hot water a drop of dish soap and bring it to a boil on the stove. #2- I always take a napkin and a dab of shortening and run it around my cast iron after cleaning.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my family always washes them in soap and hot water, rinses them in hot water, and dries them on the stove. Then oil it as soon as it's cool enough to touch.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 10:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I never have. Is that weird?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Rub it with a very very thin layer of shortening. If you need to really reseason a pan, rub it with crisco then put it upside down in a warm oven for a few hours. This will season it well.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I don't think so. If things are sticking in it, just spray it with a little Pam or something similar. Works like a charm.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• no i dont i just pam it when i use it, keepingit greasy is good for the pan but really gross to me...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009