How can I get my 5month old to sleep through the night? She's breastfed and still wakes up every 3-4 hours to nurse, then she'll go right back to sleep.

Saniyasmom8908

Asked by Saniyasmom8908 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 4 month old who does this. The best advice I got was to be sure to feed her every 2 hours during the day. The theory is she takes in more calories in the day so she doesn't "need" them at night. Sometimes it works and some night it doesnt.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• well there really isnt a way. you could try pumping and putting it in a bottle with some baby cereal. but thats normal for most 5 month olds. dont worry too much. try pumping and stuff and putting cereal in. that should keep her belly full longer.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You may want to try giving her cereal at breakfast or supper time so her belly is full when she goes to bed at night. Other than that IDK
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My baby's doctor told me that breastfed babies wake up more because breastmilk doesn't last as long in their stomachs as formula does. It's normal.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• No cereal in the bottle...it's a choking risk. And cereal tends to wake them more than put them to sleep. (We did an unscientific survey over on the breastfeeding moms group and the overwhelming finding was that cereal made baby sleep WORSE.)

Yours is on an OUTSTANDING sleep schedule if you're getting three to four hours straight. Check out :The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley but really? She's normal and will sleep even more when she's ready to do so, not before. (Mine woke every two hours. Sometimes even more. No matter WHAT I did...he started sleeping longer when I decided to stop trying to make him sleep longer.)

Answer by gdiamante at 8:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Her feedings are too close together for her age, the breat milk isn't enough. I's time to add solid food; just a little bit of rice cereal before bed...never in her bottle.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'd say its time to start feeding her cereal (I gave it to my babies in a bottle, but not everyone is comfortable with that...personally, I never had any problems), or some other solid food.

Breastmilk is great, but its digested so much faster than formula or foods, so your baby will wake up more often to be fed.

Since she's going back to sleep right after nursing, I'd definitely conclude that its hunger waking her up. She's old enough to try some rice cereal or Stage 1 foods.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Just just doing that as a comfort thing. My 17 month old will still wake up just a couple of times a night to nurse. :) No biggie. Do NOT give that baby formula.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• babies need to eat throughout the night.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I was in the same boat as you, my baby (5 1/2 month) was getting bigger and so my milk wasn't enough to fill him up for more than 2 hours so I started to give him a bottle of formula at night before he goes to sleep and the first night he slept all night long, now he wakes up once a night but only a couple days a week. I feel so well rested now...... it had been months since I had a goodnight sleep!
    z16squirt

Answer by z16squirt at 3:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009