My DS Is Almost 6 Months Old And Still Wakes Up Twice A Night To eat.. I Give Him Cereal Before Bed And Some Baby Food Plus Some Formula.. Yet He Still Wakes Up. What Do I Do?

My son had surgery on his tummy when he was 2 months old and has been eating great ever since but he has yet to sleep through the night for us since.. I dont normally mind it because he does tend to go right back to sleep but I'm being told by his doctor he shouldnt be doing this anymore and I've done everything short of giving him something to make him sleep. Something I will not do unless it's for his own good. But he's not getting up thinking he needs to play or anything just that he needs to eat and go back to sleep.. I was just wondering if mainly is it normal and if not what I am doing wrong. I'm a young first time mom and I dont have a lot of help from any older mothers.. I would love some advice. Thanks

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this age, he's only waking up because he's hungry. So feed him, then put him back down. You can't NOT feed him...he's only going to keep waking up until you do.

My oldest daughter started sleeping through the night when she turned 3 months old. A solid 12 hours. God, that was great to finally get some sleep that night!

But my youngest...man oh man. She didn't start sleeping through the night till she was about 7 1/2 months! I was about to lose my mind lol. But her doctor told me it was normal....some babies have smaller tummies than others and need to be fed more often. Hang in there sweetie....take heart that he WILL eventually sleep through the night. I know its hard, but it WILL happen!

To this day, she's 18 mos. old and still eats more than my 3 year old!
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Try to sooth him with quiet music or your singing he is too old for you to be feeding in the middle of the night
    Anonymous

• Just feed him. At this age he's SUPPOSED to wake up. You might buy yourself some more shuteye by omitting the cereal...it tends to wake babies more rather than making them sleep. The carbs play havoc with their blood sugar and when it drops, their belly alarms go off.

By the way? His doc? Is a duck. Quack Quack. They're SUPPOSED to wake!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My dd didn't sleep through the night until after she turned one. This is normal. No need to rush her to start sleeping through the night :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I personally believe that babies can certainly sleep through the night at this age. My dd has slept through the night since 5 mo. so I know it's possible. Does he wake at the same time or times each night? If so, there's a very good chance he only wakes out of habit. Try just going in and covering him back up, shooshing him, or telling him "night night" and leaving the room. He'll cry for just a bit but will hopefully go back to sleep. I would try this for a few nights and if it doesn't change anything than just continue feeding him. Each baby is different so he may just be very hungry.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. My son is 7 months old and still wakes twice a night for a feeding. So I'm assuming its quite normal!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• it's very common for a baby that age to still eat throughout the night, no matter how many solids you add to his or her diet they will still need to eat(breastmilk or formula) in the middle of the night.

this has more to do with the size of their stomaches and the rate at which they digest food(breastmilk or formula.)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2009