No sleep

Our youngest son is going to be one this coming March and he wont sleep at nite, I can lay him down at 9:00 pm and he will scream until either I pick him up and rock him or I put him in the same room as me. I have not slept with my husband a whole nite since New Years. I was told put him to bed and make him scream till he falls asleep it will be hard but it will get harder then it will be easier. Sad thing about it is it is not just me the hubby and him it is Also father inlaw and oldest son, so him being up at nite it waking all of us up. I am going crazy. I want to sleep but I want him to be comfortable and also sleep. I am about in tears at times cause I dont like to hear him cry. As right now it is bed time and he is screaming and calling out for is Dad and well dad is gone and I am stressing! What Do I DO?

AbbeyKAy

Asked by AbbeyKAy at 9:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He knows you'll eventually come in there to get him.

I know you don't like to hear him cry...nobody likes to hear their child cry. Even me, and I support the cry-it-out method (I had to do that with my oldest daughter).

But you're going to have to be persistant and stand your ground, if you're going to let him cry it out. I can't really suggest any other methods to you, because this is the only one I use.

But I'm sure someone else can.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• While this is not the best thing to get him used to, have you tried giving him some toys int he crib, like it can be playtime before bed, hoping that at some point he will stop playing and just crash? I think you just need to focus on keepinghim quiet in the crib at night, as opposed to sleeping. Sounds like he has some anxiety about being alone. It took me getting one of those lights that reflect different shapes on the ceiling to get my son to bed. I made it "movie time" with a bottle and laying on his back in the crib while I layed on the floor and held his hand in the crib. We'd watch, and he'd be a sleep by the end and I would leave. Now he just watches it himself.
    Anonymous

• There are children fpor whom cry it out DOES NOT and WILL NEVER work. I have one of them too.

Go get a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help you.

And consider this...you've been apart from your husband for less than a month. Try eight months. **grin** That was the case here...and darned if we don't both sleep better when we're not in the same bed!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009