If I skip my babys normal bedtime by a couple of hours a few nights in a row will this change her normal sleep pattern?

My FIL passed away a couple of days ago & we've been at my MIL's & not getting home until 7pm. My 9 mo old little girl usually is in bed asleep by 6:45-7:00 PM everynight. We have a routine that starts at 5pm, dinner, bath, a little playtime & then bedtime. Now we're totally eating here and there, getting to bed at 8-8:30pm with no bath & it sucks! But, under the circumstances I have no choice. I would like to be home by 5pm so that I can get her back to normalcy but my husband wants us both there and says its going to be late nights like this for the rest of the week (have the wake, funeral and family in town). Am I doomed for our bedtime routine for my little girl to be gone with the wind after a week straight of this? And please no bashing me as if this is a burden on me, my FIL was basically my dad since I don't have one. So this is killing me inside not having him in our lives anymore. 1st kid and I am just wondering?

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 9:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think anyone can know the right answer, but in my opinion, the more you act as though it is no big deal, the less she will care that it is a different routine. Nothing you can do about it, and next week you'll get back to normal, so if she is being good and just going with the flow, she'll probably be the same way when you get her back on her schedule. I freak out every time I am going to waiver from my daughter's schedule by more than 1/2 hour, and every time its no big deal and she goes back to the normal time the next day. Just don't let her see that it is a big deal. Sorry for your loss.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 9:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It'll throw her for a bit, but no more than anything else would. In the first year changes in sleep patterns are normal. Don't worry about what you cannot change.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It won't alter it completely, but like the above poster said, you'll find that sleep times vary a LOT in the first year, and in fact, sometimes for a few months thereafter.

Just deal with whatever you're dealing with now, and the bedtime thing will take care of itself when you guys get to your normal routine.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• you will be able to get her back on track. do what you have to do for now. things are hectic for you all- of course! i am so sorry for your loss...
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 9:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009