Will you help me with this...?

I have just started to babysit I have 3 toddlers and I remember one time I excepted one child while she was running a fever but not to high but then the rest of them got sick and now it is that time again (the cold/flu). How do I let this parent know that I can no longer take their child in while they are sick or should I write a letter to all parents. It is only this one parent that does this and she is a nurse go figure...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would put a letter out to all parents telling about how you can't take sick kids because it makes the others sick. I've gotten that letter plenty of times using daycare. It's standard procedure. Nobody should get mad about it. Shoot, schools do that too!

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I agree. Just send out a letter to everyone explaining some new policy changes for flu/cold season. Say you want families to feel their children are in a happy and safe environment and by keeping children who are sick home, this helps accomplish that.

Then state specifics like fever, vomitting, etc..look up on a school/daycare site. Most will list their specifics and you could easily copy that to sound professional.

Hope that helps !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Are there any state regulations written anywhere (state's website?) with regard to daycare policies like this? That way you can say you're just following the rules. Really, you're allowed to make your own rules. She shouldn't be leaving you with a feverish child but having said that, I see it ALL the time. Our preschool doesn't allow fevers but pretty much every other darn thing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would put out a post to all parents. Make a list of your rules regarding illnesses. Common ones are no fevers over 100, no vomiting within the last 24 hours, no diarrhea within 24 hours, no skin rashes or blisters, etc. That way it pretty much rules out anyone with a cold, flu, chicken pox, stomach virus, etc. All the major infectious diseases in most daycare. I've studied to be a licensed child care provider, this is typical of most child care facilities. Most of them actually make the parents sign a statement that states the things above, and the provider keeps it in a folder for future reference where the parent can't argue that the child's health is in the guidelines. KWIM?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i have my daughter in daycare and when she gets a fever of 101.0 they call me and ask me to pick her up. so anything at 101. or higher the kid(s) should not be there. that is nh state law. so either way i have to pick her up of someone on the list that i said could pick her up.
    mamaoneil

Answer by mamaoneil at 5:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• write letters to all parents and say wen they get a fever of 100.00 or your choice they are not allowed at daycare due to rules and regulations. Thats how I had to do it at the daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would write a note to all parents letting them know if their child has a fever or had a fever in the past 24 hours to please keep them home. Many preschools do a health check when the child is dropped off, if they notice a runny nose (clear is okay) crusty eyes, fever any sign the child is sick the child is sent home. Children need to be at home in bed when they are sick not sent away for the day to get other children ill.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009