Should I move him?

My son is 2-1/2 and has been in daycare at our neighbor's house since he was 8 weeks old. She is a SAHM with a 3 year old. My son is the only child she watches. I have been considering moving him to a small daycare center after his 3rd birthday. I am not considering this because I feel he isn't being cared for or taught things. He absolutely is. I am considering it for the following reasons:

1. In 2 years he will be going to kindergarten. I want him to be able to interact and hold his own in a large group. I also want to prepare him for a more stuctured setting.
2. Discipline is not my neighbor's strongest trait in my opinion. I feel her children are more unruly than I want my son to be.
3. Cost is a small factor. The center is not much cheaper weekly, only $20, but we could claim the expense on our taxes. We don't do this currently.

I am very torn on this. I think he might benefit from the move, but I know how much he likes "Miss Ellie" and she loves him too. What is your opinion?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2012 in General Parenting

• Tomorrow we're going to look at a couple of daycare centers for our 21 month old DD.
    I am going to start working. I want her in a day care center rather than an in home daycare becaue I feel she could really benefit from the interaction with other kids and she is so smart I really think she needs more mental stimulation from professionals, not just someone to keep an eye on her for 8 hours.
    As far as the bad stuff goes like sicknesses and mean kids, I'm nervous, but I figure, I can't shield her from these things forever.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 1:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• ignoring everything else
    moving him to a center will expose him to every nasty there is. centers are like petri dishes.
    centers will expose him to more kids and their bad habits including hitting, kicking, biting

just something else you may want to think about
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• I agree with feral about the germs - he will probably get a lot sicker there. In addition, some centers close for holidays that you might have to work, so you'd either have to have her (or someone else) as a back up, or lose the day at work. And when he gets sick, they won't take him, or they'll call you to come get him - which she might not.

As far as claiming the expense, I never did that so I don't know how it works, but can you do it with her?

The interaction....he's going to have to learn it at daycare or at school, but there might not be much benefit to learning it sooner. Daycares aren't always as structured as a classroom, so what he learns there may not translate as well to the classroom.

Ultimately, you have to do what you think is best, for you and for your son. If you do it, use care in explaining it to her so you don't burn any bridges.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• If you're going to send him to kindergarten, he's going to encounter those germs at some point. I don't know about daycare centers, but my 3 yo goes to preschool and he hasn't been sick all year. Kids build and develop an immunity to the things they are around, for the most part, although you may see a slightly higher incidence of illness right after he starts.
    I have a number of friends who worked and their child went to half day preschool a couple days/week and then their provider picked them up and cared for them the rest of the day. That way they got the best of both worlds. Is that something "Ms. Ellie" would consider?

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• You have to do what is best for your son. Miss Ellie has to understand that if she is a good business person. After all that's why she does it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• There are many downfalls and benefits to each, but I would find an age appropriate preschool or day care with a preschool curriculum. It would be more beneficial to him in the long run. I am currently watching a 4yo and a 5yo that have never been in preschool and have only done minimal day care and their social skills are very lacking and they don't know how to follow directions from other adults. They are smart kids, but when the 5yo starts kindergarten in the fall he is in for a rude awakening.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• I would consider the year before he starts school finding a 2-3 day a week program so he can get used to classroom rules and still not be 'in school' yet. Split the time between the in home care and part time pre-school.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• I'd divide the time also. Your lucky to have someone so close that you can trust to babysit. You don't want to totally lose her.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• move him
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2012

• maybe divide the time between the day care and your home care
    charity62

Answer by charity62 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2012