Question about GodParents being Gay

My baby is 7 weeks old, and I plan on baptizing her as a Catholic. We have 2 Godfathers. And as of yet no Godmothers. I would prefer that she just have 2 Godfathers. One is gay, one is straight. I have no idea how to bring this up.
In my eyes we are all God's childern no matter whom we sleep with. Though some Catholics do not believe that gay people should be involved.
I don't feel I should HAVE to have a Godmother for my child. The God parents would not be the ones to take our child, if something would happen to us anyway.
I am starting at a new church. I haven't been to church is almost 3 years now. Since my divorce...
Any thoughts?

tsc2007

Asked by tsc2007 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I chose my child's godparents to honor them more than to share in the responsibility of raising my daughters. My SIL and brother were GPs. He was single. She wouldn't be the best choice to raise the kids. He is expecting his first child and he is married. I think godparents should be of good character and responsible enough to provide for your child if needed though. If you feel these two men qualify, great. Personally, I think it is your choice but that the church you are doing this with should find it acceptable. I think we need to respect the institution we are asking to help us with this. I wouldn't blame you for changing places to do this if they don't agree though.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I have no idea how the Catholic church handles this, since I'm not Catholic. But in my opinion, it should be treated just like anyone else who is living in sin (since that is what Christians typically believe - they are living in sin). If you picked someone who wasn't married and just living together, that is a sin, if they allowed it then they should allow the homosexual friend too. kwim?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 3:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Yeah I know...So what do I do then about the baptism. Lie about the gay one? And try to find a God Mother
    tsc2007

Answer by tsc2007 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• This is why I can't stand Catholic churches. It is up to you the parents to make a decisin for your child. The church should respect that decision. No don't lie about the one being gay. If it doesn't come up it doesn't need to be said. You do what you feel is best for your child and don't let anyone tell you that your decision is wrong. It is not up to the pastor to decide who should help raise your child. It is up to the parents.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• well i don't go to church either because i have alot of issues with beleiveing everything the bible has to say, and i don't think it should matter if u have gay or straight god parents as long as they are there for your child that's all that matter so hold that head up high, your child is in good hands =}
    Anonymous

• When we baptized our youngest in the Catholic church, we wanted two godmothers, since we wanted two of DH's sisters to stand up for our daughter. The priest told us we could not have two godmothers, but there was no rule saying you need two godparents. So, one aunt signed the certificate and is the only official godparent according to the church, but the priest said there was nothing stopping us from calling them both godmothers. Who checks up on these things anyway? As far as our daughter knows, she has two godmothers. (Lucky girl)
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• P.S. I would look into the Unitarian Universalist church. They are very open minded about everyone being part of the community and I am thinking they must have a special event for blessing children in their belief system.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2008