How long can stitches stay on?

My dog had surgery about a month ago on her leg she got a fatty tissue removed, I was suppose to take her back to get them removed but I completely forgot and til now I have not called the vet.
She is fine and these stitches I don't believe they dissolve, what would be the worse case senario on this? She is being herself like always

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Ok, if you have cuticle scissors or hair cutting scissors and some tweezers, you can remove the stitches yourself CAREFULLY. But you may want to take the dog to the vet to make sure the wound healed correctly.

I would not leave the stitches in. They can collect bacteria and cause an abscess.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Ask luvinher she's a vet tech
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• sterilize your scissors and tweezers, snip the string and pull it out, you might wanna give her benadril (yes human kind is okay, just a tiny amount) to sedate the dog so they dont fight and make it bad... def can do it at home if you want.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If the stitches have been in for a month, they could have grown to her skin and will need more medical care pulling them than you can provide at home. I would get her in now and get them pulled by the vet before they cause more trouble than the original problem.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• First and most important,make sure the closed inciscion is has totally healed.Meaning that the derma ( skin ) is well connectted and there is no infection.Yes,sterilize the intrustments you will be using.Those should be long scissors,tweezers,some cotton balls.Most importantly make sure the site is cleaned before you remove the stitches.Also to sterilize the intrustments,use either distiled white vinger or half water and half bleach.Make sure your hands are clean.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009