Introducing solids

My daughter is 6.5 months. We've done stage 1 foods and DD is good with everything. Dr. said we could move to stage 2 and start some solids like cherios and pasta and chunky fruits, but when I took a little banana and gave it to her, she has no idea what to do and just let it ooze out of her mouth. Does that mean she is not ready and I should just stick to the pureed baby foods? The thought of giving her a cherrio scares me.

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im in your same boat my DD is 7 mos and she does the same thing, i would keep introducing bigger foods like banana until she gets used to it....at least thats what im doing
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would just keep trying. Sometimes it will take a few times before she realizes what to do. She will get the hang of it soon. It took my son a few times to get the hang of it.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 9:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• your DD is learning her world and you just introduced something new to it. She is going to use all five of her senses to discover this new thing and learn about it. I have always said that children don't eat, but absorbe most of their food through their skin. LOL. You are doing a great job. Just keep introducing it and have fun watching them learn about the new food.
    Alaska_Moma

Answer by Alaska_Moma at 9:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Stage 2 generally is not any thicker or chunkier than stage 1. Its a bigger portion and blends of more fruits and veggies and grains mostly. So going on to that to get her introduced to new flavors isn't a bad idea. Also, like the other moms have said keep trying. It took me a good 5 times with the bananas until my little finally figured out what it was and that she liked it (try putting the banana in one of those little mesh fruit feeders so she can chew and suck on it without being able to choke on it.) I didn't give her cheerios until she was almost 8 months old and thats when I just started giving her like little bits of pasta and chicken and stuff like that. Moms know their kids better than anyone, if you don't think shes ready then wait. It won't hurt to keep her on the other stuff a little longer and introduce the chunkier stuff slower.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 9:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My dd is almost 9 mo. and the thought of a cheerio scares me too! I make her baby food and I've added some chunks to some of her food and it gagged her at first so we took our time with introducing foods with chunks. She seems pretty used to texture now but still has trouble at times. I have yet to give her finger foods because I don't feel like she's ready. you have to do what you're comfortable with and what you think your baby can handle. There will be no disadvantage to introducing texture and table foods later for your baby. Your doctor was probably just making a suggestion based on a "typical" timetable but each child is different. When it comes time to introduce things like cheerios, maybe try the Gerber Graduates that melt in their mouth.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Side note about those mesh feeders. Bananas do NOT come out of the mesh very easily. I have had to take the bottle brush to the mesh bag and in the end gave up and bought replacement mesh bags. However other fruit works well and you can place very cold/slightly frozen fruit into the mesh bags and have your little teethers chew on them.

Oh I was worried about cheerios too so I did introduce the graduate melts first. . .my son loves them. Keep trying the other solids your little one will get the hang of it soon.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Chrissmom you're so right about it not being able to clean out the banana out of the mesh. But my little girl loves to eat the banana out of it and does it easily. And when she is teething if you have freeze a piece of it or peach in it and it helps with the teething sooo much. And those melts are awesome, my little loves them too.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 10:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• HI, I just wanted to share... PLEASE be very careful when giving solid foods. My son choked on a teething biscuit. It was very very scary as you can imagine. He is 7 mos. old and sees a speech therapist who told me not to give him teething biscuits/ cookies, or cheerios because the do not dissolve and are choking hazards. I have worked with young children my whole life and thought what I was giving him was safe. His therapist suggested foods that dissolve and he is doing awesome with Cheeto Puffs (I prefer the natural white cheddar not as messy as the original and healthier) & Graham crackers( although I really have to be careful he doesn't try to eat too big of a piece) He really enjoys being able to feed himself.
    hokunani

Answer by hokunani at 12:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• At this age, you could go either way. You could hold off on finger foods until she shows more interest, or you could keep offering and see what she does.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009