I'm in a custody dispute. The father has never helped financially or with health insurance.I stayed at my parents a good portion of the time because he wouldn't help me. Now he wants joint custody. My baby doesn't know the father. He never interacted with him from the time he was born. please any advice?!

Husband never helped, It scares the heck out of me that he'd be able to take my baby for even a little while. It doens't seem like its in the best interest of the child if the father has never done anything in the childs life and the child doesn't know him. He knows that it would kill me and I just want to know what my options are and how realistic this is and what I can do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Joint custody is only a possibility if BOTH parents agree. Other than that you can go for sole custody. He will most likely be awarded parenting time. If you are concerned for your childs safety there is safety focused parenting plans (no overnights, supervised or nonsupervised day visits). You can work out the details on the papers and ask for whatever you think is safe. If he does not respond to the courts then whatever you asked for in the papers goes through. If he does submit a eresponse then you will have a court date wherre you can give your explanations for what you asked for. Then the judge will determine who gets custody and what the parenting time will be. I did my own custody case, no laywer. If you would like any help finding things like forms or process you can PM me. How old is your kid? This is real if he wants some sort of custody papers filed. Does he see your child at all?
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Do you have an attorney? If not, get one.

Document the heck out of everything...do what you can to prove dad's been uninterested and out of the picture.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009