Frustrated! Im not making enough milk.

My daughter is 3months now and I cant seem to produce enough milk for her. I am taking fenugreek and blessed thistle 3 time daily and it doesnt seem to help. She nurses all the time and when i go to work i pump. I need help. I am not ready to give up on nursing yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she not gaining the proper amount of weight?
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had to take 3 pills 3 times a day. Maybe increasing your intake? Try pumping more often & using warm compresses to encourage let-down.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Eating oatmeal and drinking plenty of water always ups my supply.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• what makes you think you aren't producing enough? Is she wetting about 6 diapers a day? Eating all the time, nor the amount you pump, is an indication of supply. 3 months is their typical growth spurt time, so it could be that. Are you drinking plenty of fluids, and eating healthy? Still taking your prenatals? You can start eating oatmeal, even oatmeal cookies :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Have you tried talking with a lactation consultant ?

Anyway the only thing I could think of was to maybe pump also while at home an extra time in the evening or another time that she is not normally nursing. By adding in that extra time hopefully it will increase the milk.

Also what kind of pump are you using ? Is it one meant for working moms who need to keep up the milk supply ?

Sorry I don't have better ideas, but I am sure someone here will have some good ones !!! Good luck :)
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• When they have growth spurt it can take your body a few days to catch up. Maybe you are just catching up to her.

Pumping and working is really tough.  I know I couldn't pump every 2-3 hours at work.  Every time I nursed him I would pump right after he was done.  I would also let the pump run for a few minutes after I stopped getting any milk.  That sends your body a signal to make more milk.  I basically got into the habit of pumping as much as I could at home since I knew I couldn't keep up at work.  My son was EBF until about 8 months and then we supplemented with 1 formula bottle a day.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Are you sure you aren't producing enough ? At that age babies eat what seems to be all the time and you can't tell how much you are producing from what you pump. Babies do a better job at gettin milk out than pumps do. Also - she could be going through a growth spurt right now. When my daughter goes through growth spurts I can't get anything out with a pump and she seems to constantly be eating. If she is gaining weight, she is fine. I was freaking out one time when my daughter was about 3 months because I thought that I was starving her when I tried to pump and got nothing. I started trying all sorts of things to get it up and nothing worked - then a couple days later she was back on her regular eating schedule and I could pump again - it was just a growth spurt.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yeah I am drinking 8-9 bottles of water a day. I feel like I am drowning myself. when i pump i get maybe 4 oz altogether and thats not near enough to get her through the next day while I'm at work.
    I had 7 almost full bags before i went back to work and now i only have what i pump the day before at work.
    smiley0921

Answer by smiley0921 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• try pumping more often... if not at work, after work and before work :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the advice.
    smiley0921

Answer by smiley0921 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009