When is enough, Enough

My husband' family is "close". To the point of them telling us how to raise my daughter (sometimes stepping in and doing it them selves) against my will. They also tell us how to spend our money and most everything else. They volunteer my husband to do odd jobs for aunts on his weekends. Most of the time we don't have anytime for our own family. Not to mention my family never gets to see my daughter or me on most holidays because they feel their more important

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 9:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Draw the line. They're BEYOND "enough." Tell your husband he needs to make himself a bit less available...he needs to be on board with this. Make plans with your side of the family. Let the chips fall where they may.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had a similar situation like yours, except my husband was more "brainwashed" than anything.When I met my husband I was their best friend until we moved out together, then when he started going "home" less and less, all hell broke loose. Its was MY fault that their family isn't close, his brother has a sob story a day long on how I tore their family apart and how hes lost his best friend all because I would like my husband to be home with me and my daughter more. Honestly you have to break in between the closesness, b/c YOU and YOUR KIDS are his family before them. When you do your family time first, they can have their time, thats how I see it.
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh, also, hes going to have to have most of the say in this, hes going to have to be the one to say, Hey look I'm sorry I'm busy this weekend, otherwise like I said, you will be the one who is "taking him away". Good Luck to you! I feel for you :)
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 10:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The worst part is 70% of them live near by
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh my gosh, I think we're married to the same guy! My husbands family is exactly the same way. We went to my family Thanksgiving last year (mind you it was the first holiday in 6 years we hadn't spent with his family) and it was like the world was going to end. They called him non-stop, demanding to know when we would be back to go to their house. Then they said I was trying to keep him from his family, I didn't want my kids to know them, blah blah blah. And as far as rasing my kids, everything I do is wrong. They know everything. They treat my husband like a child, telling what to spend money on, what to do all the time. So I guess I don't have much advice, just try talking to him about it. Pm me if you want!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009