She got her cast wet tonight! Now what do I do??

Long story short, my daughter broke her arm just over a week ago. We have been battleing keeping it dry during showers. Well tonight evidently I messed up and didn't get the bag tight enough. Her cast was wet when we took the bag off. Now that it has begun to dry it seems to of lossened up! Now what do we do??

Alwaysacarnie

Asked by Alwaysacarnie at 9:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• lol. I had a cast when i was 2, stuffed grain down it, then got it wet. when I shoved a crayon down it the dr. had to cut a square out of it and the grain had sprouted. lol. I don't know . you might want to call the dr's and ask them.
    Anonymous

• Ah, we just got my son's cast off (no break just a really bad sprain but he's 4 so they needed to take precaution). Anyways, I know UR fear. You have to call the doc. No way around it. They may either tell you to wait and come in tomorrow to get it redone or they may tell you to get it done now at the hospital. It all depends on how wet it got and how bad the injury is. If it's only damp, you can blow it with a blowdryer, but if it got really wet, call them.

Good luck!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I tried blow drying it, but it sparked! I am guessing because of the fiberglass in it. I plan on calling the doc in the morning, I can't wait till she gets this thing off, it's a pain in the A**!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 10:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We went through serial casting with my son this last summer. If you get the cast wet you HAVE to go and get it removed. It will STAY wet inside and could lead to skin infections. I mean ASAP. My son's therapist told us if we were ever in that situation to call the ER and ask what they wanted us to do. I recommend you call your dr.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If it's fiberglass it will dry on it's own, but give the orthopedist a call anyway. It's probably too late now, but using your hands to reform it as it dried would have helped.

My son broke his leg when he was 15 months and had a fiberglass cast. We were told to try to keep it dry, but if it got wet it wasn't a big deal.

Now, it it was SOAKED, that's a different story....definitely give the doctor a call if it soaked through.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2009