Should pregnant women and breast feeding mothers be required by law to take a drug test?

And if it turns out positive they have to do rehab? Because that's a form of child abuse. If I could have my 7 year old taken away for not having him in a booster seat than I definitely think a mom on weed should have the same consequence if she's not willing to get off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 10:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• These days I would say yes. Only because I have seen many prego crakcheads in my town. I also think those smoking cigarettes should be sentenced to something. nicotine levels should be checked too, because that is not good for the baby either
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 10:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• No- where would it end? Breathalyzers for all moms picking up their kids from school? Well then what about the kids who ride the bus home to dad passed out from a drug overdose? See there would be an entire avalanche of "big brother" taking over.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• No, but thanks for the thought. I would prefer not to have the government run my life any more then it has.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm pretty sure they do drug test babies when they are born and I had to sign a paper that acknowledged that I was being tested at my first prenatal. They won't take your baby away. At most they will counsel you. Your 7 year old wouldn't be taken away for not having him in a booster. That is ridiculous. Another drama post!
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 10:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh please! You've got to be joking.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• There is not a state child welfare system in this whole nation that would remove a child from its biological family for failure to use a booster seat! Nor is the percentage of the population who chooses to use illegal substances during pregnancy high enough to warrent testing the whole population of pregnant or breast feeding women. Think about the economics of it here! You would be wasting tax payer money that could be used to support the children who really were removed due to abuse/neglect. If you're worried about a particular child - notify the athorities. If you are upset in general about this occurance get out and advocate and educate in your community. Don't simply criticize for that will not lead to the change you desire.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i wouldn't care if they did. i know i would be clean and those that aren't should be. maybe they should have your breathalyzed when picking your children up etc the mother may just be drunk. they should test the fathers as well.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• hmm im not sure, that would be a lot of drug testing...
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Actually in most states when you begin prenatal treatment you sign a waiver authorizing drug tests...in the small print. If your dr suspects drug use they can test your urine specimen that you give at every visit to check for sugar levels. Also the hospital can drug test you and the bay when you are in labor and deliver if they suspect drug use and if it comes back positive CPS will arrive shortly after the bay does. That is also a consetual thing, it's in your registration paperwork at the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009