ADD & Music

I have had ADD since grade school. It is always hard for me to focus and unless I write it down and block out the noise I can not finish a project. I will even admit sometimes at work it effects me. Lately I found that listening to music with headphones while doing a project allows me to block out all noise and avoid jumping to something else.

My son is also ADD and I am wondering if this would help him. I wanted to try it with his home work but not sure how to tell if it works like it does with me. I don't want him sitting there jamming away and not doing homework. He has a crammer that he got for Christmas and it is suppose to be an MP3 player and a way to study. The slogan is cram while you jam.

Does anyone know if listening to music helps ADD or is it a fluke that it works for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm not sure, but I'm the same way. Music helps me focus. (I don't know if I'm ADD, but I've suspected it.)
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 10:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• sounds like a great theory to me. I'm ADD but have just learned to be AWESOME at multitasking LOL I definitely focus better if there is background noise though... my TV is on 24/7 even if I'm not watching it.
    Anonymous

• My DD has ADHD and she borrows my MP3 player when she needs to focus on something. I think it helps (I am also ADD so am biased LOL) can't hurt to try!
    TessyCat

Answer by TessyCat at 12:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son has ADD and we tried the music thang. It didn't work for us.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son is 11 and has ADD - he listens to his IPOD while doing his homework - at first I said no way - just more distraction but now, I can see that he needs to have some type of background noise. I check his homework to make sure it is done correctly and that he is focused. Try it - it cant hurt.
    amy16

Answer by amy16 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Worth a try. My 11 DD has ADHD and an auditory processing disorder, she uses head phone and her teacher has a microphone at school to help block out back round noise during lessons.  I'm willing to try, I think it's a good idea

goneinsane226

Answer by goneinsane226 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have never been told I have ADD, but I listen to my IPOD everyday at work (I'm 32). I think it can help for some people, the multitasking part of my brain can focus on the words & beat while i work with focus on whats in front of me. Try it a few times when you can correct the work with no music if need be.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 1:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2009