to bottle feeding moms

what is your response when someone tells you, you are horrible for feeding the baby from a bottle? I was shocked when a lady in walmart told me how horrible i was for feeding my 6 month old at the time a bottle and i should always use my breast, i calmy told her due to medical issues my hind milk never came in but my foremilk did so for the first month of my daughters life i was starving her. she proceeded to tell me i was lying! I calmly told her ma'am you raise your kids your raise and ill raise mine mine and walked off as she mumbled to herself at least im not killing my kid. oh it ticked me off soo bad i mean i tried and was very disappointed i couldnt bf with either of my kids and i tried hard. it irked me if you cant tell.

HisServant4ever

Asked by HisServant4ever at 10:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, either way you go, someone is going to tell you you're wrong. I get looks and comments from people all the time about breastfeeding. Eventually, you learn to ignore them. Next, don't engage in Conversation. Just calmly say " this is MY child, and I don't have to explain myself to you" Then just walk away.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• That was so rude. I don't ever judge a mom on the way that she chooses to feed her child. I had to pump BM and then feed it through a bottle. My family had a hard time adjusting to this. So no matter what you do you will get looks.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I usually end up saying "Well, I was raised on formula and I turned out just fine, thanks." And go about my day.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Wow thats crazy. I am ALL FOR breastfeeding-quite obsessive about it actually lol, and I would NEVER say that to another woman! You never know why a mother is not breastfeeding her child-she could be receiving chemo for all I know-and you don't even know if that bottle may be full of breastmilk. You never know if the child was adopted or what. So, yeah, coming from a hardcore breastfeeding advocate, I can tell you, this woman is whacked! I would have just rolled my eyes and walked away from her!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I fed my both my kids out the bottle. Not only that I also gave them cereal the day each of them came home. Oh and don't let me forget I also placed them all on their stomachs\side when they slept last but not least I began feeding my kids out the spoon at 2 months old. Guess that makes me a bad mother huh. Truth be told neither one of them went through acid reflux. They didn't die because of the bottle. Hell as a matter of fact my kids were more healhy then many babies that were breast that I would see. My kids were drinking 8 ounces by the time they were a month old. So to that lady "go screw yourself"
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• it is a little offensive to me when moms on here say formula is bad. My mother never breastfed, but my mother-in-law did and i had intended to try, we tried a little in the first days, but because my baby was so small (4lbs 13oz) the nurses had to feed him formula and he wasnt really interested in breastfeeding we switched to formula. My mother-in-law never judges me because i didn't nurse my son and with me going back to work at 7 weeks postpartum it was just a better option for us.
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• hmm ive never been in that position, but i have gotten the looks...and my DD got breastmilk in a bottle cause she refused to latch. she's FF'd now & its true, no matter what you do somebodys gonna tell you you're a bad mom. ya just gotta ignore them. always take the high road & it will make them look like the A-hole. im sorry you had to deal w/ such a jerk!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• OMG I can't believe someone would say that! (well, actually plenty of women on here would be that rude!... but I don't know if they would have the guts to do it to a person's face)
    My baby is primarily breastfed, but when we are out in public he gets it in a bottle... and if anyone ever said anything to me about bottle feeding I would probably go apes on them!
    They don't know what I have in my bottle... breastmilk or formula and it's not their buisness.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i cant believe someone would say that in public either. hmm,maybe they didnt.
    Anonymous

• Wow, people can be so ignorant. You handled the situation with class. I don't know know if I could be that calm my son has medical issues and must feed from a bottle, in fact he also has a feeding tube so we are quite proud of him for taking a bottle when he can. Keep your head up I am sure you are a great mom. :)
    hokunani

Answer by hokunani at 11:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009