I haven't nursed in a week or so and I was just trying to pump and noticed that the milk I was expressing was very rich and white. Before I stopped nursing it was thin and a little watery. Does anyone know what could have caused it to become so creamy looking?I haven't expirienced that before.

breast milk color and consistency

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is probably a lot of fat backed up in the milk. Are you trying to quit BF and dry up or just didn't nurse?
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• breastmilk changes consistency during the course of a feeding session or pumping.
    the milk does not get backed up nor does the fat get backed up in your milk.
    some studies have shown that in winter months your body will produce milk that contains more hindmilk(the richer, fattier part of the milk.) so perhaps that is the cause. in the summer months it's believed that we produce more foremilk.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2009