What is a good meal plan to put your 9 1/2 month old baby on? .

I'm stuck between formula and rice cereal/oatmeal. I just need something where she eats solids 3 times a day and drinks her bottles in between and before bed. Oh, and she doesn't have any teeth so I think I'm a bit limited to what she can eat. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me

hybridgirl07

Asked by hybridgirl07 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 10 mos. old daughter and in between nursings I feed her Infant cereal and Gerber Stage 3 baby foods. I mix some fruit with the infant cereal and give her juice in a sippy cup. Then for her next meal she gets a 1/2 jar of a vegetable with some water and her last solid meal is 1/3 jar dinner combo meal (like chicken noodle dinner). She also still nurses 4 times a day- first thing in the morning, after both naps, and before bed. She seems very content with this schedule so far and doesn't seem hungry. I think in fact she'll soon be cutting out one of her nursings as she starts eating more solid foods. She has some teeth but still doesn't chew well. Using the Stage 3 lets her get used to the thicker texture and practice chewing. I also give her some Gerber Graduates Finger Foods (star puffs). Even without teeth they can gum those and they are small enough that they melt in babies mouth.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would make sure that she gets a fruit, veggie, and a meat. You can also do finger foods at her age. Green beans, cut up carrots (diced), oyster crackers, etc. are good choices as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• this may sound stupid and im not being rude in anyway but if a child that age (my dd is 7 mos) and has no teeth (mine doesnt either) how can they eat diced carrots and crackers? sorry i sound like an idiot
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my daughter is 9 months old with no teeth and she can eat diced COOKED carrots and crackers and stuff. She chews it with her gums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• they are able to gum their food pretty well. You will be surprised.
    Shellmybells

Answer by Shellmybells at 3:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Teeth don't matter at this age. They're only getting front teeth, not molars yet, and chewing is not done with front teeth.

She can eat anything your toothless grandmother ate. (okay...so I had the toothless grandmother)

My boys were completely on table foods at this age....even meats. So I would start working towards that goal. A balanced diet is the overall goal for all children.

As for meals...when do you eat your meals? Make hers at the same time. My boys at that age had breakfast around 7am, mid-morning was a snack, lunch was about noon, snack mid-afternoon, supper around 5:30/6pm and formula right before bed...and they ate what we ate. (with obvious exceptions for the "allergy foods")

They received about 8oz of formula with each meal and before bed in a sippy cup. Snacks were some sort of finger food and some juice/water mixed in a sippy cup.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• 9 mos old and you are wanting to feed her solids 3X a day? Why? It's not necessary. At 9 mos, my son nursed on demand, and had a few spoonfuls of pureed veggies every day or so. At this age, there are no hard and fast rules, there does not need to be a schedule.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2009