I am now an empty nester, disabled and feeling very alone. What should I do???

Hadassah_Kay

Asked by Hadassah_Kay at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Are you able to get somewhere to volunteer once a week or so? Where I live we have rural bus service through the transportation authority. They are very attentive to folks with disabilities. If you're in an area where this type of service is provided perhaps you can join some type of social group & have the bus transport you. Our local paper lists all these events on a weekly basis. Are you able to babysit for neighbors in your own home? I am a companion to a wheelchair bound senior. I take her to hair appts, chores & sometimes just chew the fat. Some larger churches have outreach programs where folks from the congregation can come visit, bring a meal, etc. Maybe it's time to pull out the old phone book and get back in touch with friends you haven't spoken with in years due to the busyness of being a parent. What hobbies have you had an interest in but never had the time to do? Find the balance between your capabilities and your disabilities.
    OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 3:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Go back to school and find a new passion for life :) Live the life you love and love the life you live!
    mellelady

Answer by mellelady at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I agree with volunteering. You could cook for the homeless, help watch babies with www.MOPS.org, help build a house with Habitat for Humanity, open your home to a Bible study for mothers...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• haev you considered adopting a cat or dog from a shelter? I know before I had my daughter, I had my cat, and she definately kept me company, and was pretty theraputic for my anxiety/depression. (I no longer have her because my apartment building is not cat friendly, she stays with a friend so I still see her.) Some shelters run specials on spaying/neutering/first shots, and you can get most of your pet supplies at family Dollar or buy in bulk at Sams club... the only crushing thing is that emergency vet bill, ack! But I managed.

Think about it! I know my cat was excellent company and I plan on adopting another one eventually in the future.
    aridattebayo

Answer by aridattebayo at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• along the lines of volunteering, check with your local NICU. They use volunteers to hold and feed sick babies, and drug addicted babies.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 10:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2008