is my son teething?

my son is almost 4 months and he is much more iritable the past few weeks. he drools a lot now, and he chews on everything. i dont see any signs of a tooth coming in, but im a first time mom, so i may not know what to look for. he is so young. every webite about teething contridicts itself. could he be teething?

momofaprodigy

Asked by momofaprodigy at 11:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might be teething... but you may not see any teeth for awhile (although plenty get teeth very early) My son has been teething since about 4 months and is 6 months now and still no teeth. Some days it's better... other days he drools and chews on anything, his gums get red and swollen and I swear teeth have popped out when he bites me while BF... but nope!
    You can try some teething tablets to see if it helps him. Occasionaly we give my son Tylenol if he seems very uncomfortable... but only before bed. During the day we give him teething rings and teething tablets to make him more comfortable.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• he could be teething. my 1st son got hid first tooth at 4 months and he had all the same symptoms as you are describing. my 2nd son started around 4 months also, but he didn't get his first tooth until he was 8 months old. he drooled all the time, and would chew on everything. and with both of my sons each time they got a tooth they would get an ear infection so that is how i would generally know that they were getting teeth.
    mooreboysmom

Answer by mooreboysmom at 11:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It's possible. My son is 8 months old and he has been doing the same things since he was about 4 months old and we still don't have any teeth. Be prepared for this to cont possibly for months.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes, when they start drooling they are definitely teething. My daughter used to drool so bad I'd have to constantly have a bib on her otherwise her shirt would be soaked. I used to have to change her shirt several times a day before I decided to put a bib on her, which I still had to put a fresh one on her throughout the day but it was easier than changing her outfit. And even before I could see a tooth coming through I could see that her gums were swollen. It can take a few months to get past the drooling stage and as far as chewing on everything my daughter still does and she's now 10 mos. with 6 teeth. You could try Baby Orajel or Infant Tylenol drops if he seems overly irritable or in pain.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yeah i agree with PP. My son started at 3 mos and just got his first 2 teeth at 5. Hylands teething tabs work great because we hardly even notice he's teething minus the drool...but he's hardly ever fussy. I give him 3 tabs every 6 hours.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it does sound like hes teething. my daughter started at 3 months but still hasnt cut any teeth and she is now 5 months. she does get fussy sometimes and favors whichever side is bothering her by chewing on her binky. sometimes her gums on either side gets raised then goes down. the gums will play games like that. i use infant tylenol when she gets really fussy. and i also use teething tablets and sometimes baby orajel which both of those help. but it def. sounds like hes teething.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 4:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2009