Homeschooling

My kids are 2.5 & 4 and I plan on homeschooling but don't know where to begin. Honestly, unschooling has the nicest feel- I don't want to be sitting at the table for hours making my kids do work but at the same time, I need help.

We love to read, but with activities I am kind of clueless. Has anyone homeschooled from a young age?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 11:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is 3 yrs 2 months & didn't get into preschool this year.
    I also like the idea of unschooling. We are kinda homeschooling preschool right now........
    She knows all her colors, shapes, counts fairly well, & knows all her letters (big & small) & the sounds they make. We are working on reading/sight words, getting better with a pencil to draw shapes, lines and onto letters & numbers, & working on calendar skills.
    She also plays lots of educational games online. I can give you some links to them if you like, & I have a journal called Preschool Curriculum for what 3-4 year olds should know or be learning by the end of preschool.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 11:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• the easiest way to teach little one's without htem even knowing is to work it into everything during the day, what color clothes your putting on them, counting out everything you give them from grapes to crayons.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, we do this and my kids are learning well this way- But as for doing more, once my son is 5 I legally have to make sure he is on level so to speak...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I want to home school, too! My kids are very quick. We do counting now. 2+2 is ? And Bug will answer 4........ and with Anthony so close to Bug's age, he is also becoming very smart!!!! I buy the pre-K books from wal-mart. It has shape activities. Fun learning for the kids.
    Donnamomma40

Answer by Donnamomma40 at 6:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm homeschooling my first year right now and my kids are 2 1/2, 4 1/2, and 5 1/2. I have a book called "Home Learning: Year by Year" and it tells you what your kids should be learning in each grade. I think it's by Rebecca Rupp and I got mine used on amazon for cheap. I also have a link to a website for standards.

I create my own curriculum (for now anyways). I picked up a few workbooks and add lots of stuff to them. We read, sing while we work, do lots of counting, calendar, make observations (like why do you think you can see your breath when it gets cold outside).

You can also get a few arts and crafts books to keep on hand and flip through when you need suggestions. www.kaboose.com has some cool ideas :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I bought preschool workbooks for my daughter, and homeschooled her for awhile with those. The workbooks are way advanced (considering what she does at real preschool now). They helped a lot, and she learned so much from them.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well personally my boys r 3 almost 2 and 7 months and every second i can i make about learning for exp in the car we always have learning cds that i get for a buck or less at doller trees or waREHOUSE stores that just sing 123's n abc's color song animal name sonsgs they watch animal planet dicovery or pbs when ever the tv is on and we have an hr o learning every day in the morning not long after brfeakfast we do flash cards right now there just bible trivie colors animals numbers letters and object cards then i pick a card and give them each a ffew dif colored either pencils crayons or paints and have them dra w it and write the name then we do shapes and leters with playdoh then work books which for there age is only coloring dso i give them 1st grade ones but all the things are fun to them and rewarding so they love them and can all be purchase pretty cheap
    tripadiamondmom

Answer by tripadiamondmom at 2:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• (cont.)
    And we have 1 workbook we bought at Wal Mart. She doesn't really mind sitting at the table & working on it & I let her stop when shes ready, I don't push her. We also read ALOT of books, we go to the library twice a week for storytime & then we fit learning in during other playtimes or normal activities..... but I can't wait til Spring!! It will get so much better. Good luck!
    ladysylpher

• i just recently made flash cards for my dd. she loves playing memory games. and we do that with colors, shapes, and numbers. we also do stuff in the car. go to the zoo and learn bout animals... i try to make everythong into games... oh, playhouse disney has several games for preschoolers that help them learn colors, reading, so on and so forth. also pbskids.edu it just depends on what ur kid likes.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009