has anyone ever had problomes with babys inhaling mecodium in there lungs at birth?

danielsmommy6

Asked by danielsmommy6 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Meconium is their first couple poops. There should not be any meconium at all until they poop before they are born, and that's usually a pretty big medical problem.

Are you sure you don't mean inhaling amniotic fluid?
    Anonymous

• That's what I was going to say. Amniotic fluid is all around them, and them swallowing it throughout pregnancy is what causes your baby to have those first few nasty poops. If you baby has actually ingested the meconium and your doctor doesn't know, tell him asap!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 5:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• When babies go past full term they can pass their first poop in utero. The doctor would already know about it, that's how the OP knows. The doctor told her.
    Anonymous

• Yes my daughter did, but they knew she had when she was born. They whisked her away and worked on her for a good hour before I was able to see her. She stayed a couple extra days in the hospital and then deveolped RSV, which was a nigtmare.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• my oldest inhaled her meconium (she was a week late) and was born lifeless. after working on her for 5 minutes she started breathing and they started her on anti biotics. she will be four tommorow and is the smartest kid I know
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 11:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2008