PLEASE HELP!!!!

I had a baby almost 3 months ago I have postpartum depression and very bad anxiety.I'm now taking a medication called Celexa for this which has not kicked in yet. The doctor said these kind of medications take 3 weeks to kick in. After the 2nd night of taking it i woke up i was just laying there and all of a sudden my heart fluttered and i jumped up out of bed woke my husband up screaming that i was burning everywhere. my entire body had a very bad tingling burning sensation started in my head and moved downward to my toes... it went away after about 5 minutes.but I still went to the ER... as I was sitting waiting to be seen by a doctor the tingling burning sensation came back about 3 more times the doctor said i was having a panic attack. he gave a Xanax and it took this feeling away now its been coming and going all week... but everytime i take a xanax i feel ok has any1 ever heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Health

• Ok first off, I have been through this before. Not PPD, but the depression and anxiety. I became depressed after our last move with the military. Make a long story short, we moved from sunny spain to rainy gray washington state. I went to the dr when I started having panic attacks. They gave me Zoloft. Made it ALOT worse. I threw up daily due to the meds. After 2 days of this they changed me to another medicine it worked well. But they also gave me Klonopin for the panic attacks which is an awesome medication because it works instantly. You should speak with your doctor about it. Just know that it does take time, but you WILL get better. Oh, and like the above posts said, prayer and faith also worked for me. Good luck, PM me if you need to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I don't think Celexa is for you if it's giving you panic attacks. talk to your doctor about it. What's the point of being on Celexa for PPD if it causes panic attacks that you need another medication for.

there are no "one size fits all" antidepressants so it may take you several trial periods of different ones to find the one that works for you.
    Anonymous

• I have never experienced a panic attack but friends of mine have and they are terribly difficult from what i have seen.

I have however dealt with depression, and it is tough too. Keep taking the mds at the same time everyday and keep a journal- it may be that your hormones play into it, too or that after being consistent on these meds (celexa) your dr. will try another one...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It is true that those anti depressants take awhile to kick in. I use to take lexapro (a very close relative to celexia) and it messed wit hme for a little while, than worked great. Now I am on celexia because it is cheaper. Your Dr may change your med, or he may try to get you to keep going for the 3 weeks.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Ok, I know this will sound crazy to many, but I know we are all on here to help each other to the best of our ability. I just want to share something with you that if you are open to hear me out, I am more than certain it will be able to help you also. I will try make a long story short. My mother suffered from anxiety and depression for years, this was back when I was a teenager. It was awful to see your mom crying all the time and just laying there in bed not wanting to do practically anything each and every day. They prescribed her (CONTINUED>>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• her these medications you are taking now. She was on Celexa then they prescribed her Xanax also and I don't quite remeber if any other meds were involved, but anyway.... She would have the same exact symthoms you are describing. I remember her panic attacks were just horrid. I remember having to call the paramedics a couple times because she would wake up screaming, having burning sensations, her heart would flutter and she would also hyperventilate. It would scare the crap out of me!. She ended up in an ambulance straight into the ER countless times. This was stressing our family so much, we didn't know what to do anymore we were so desperate for her. Doctors would say the body has to adjust and things like that, but never gave a solution. They also said if she ever was to get off these meds she would have to do so gradually because of the high doses. (CONTINUED>>>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• . The body gets addicted to them unfortunately. My mom never actually got better even while on these meds. It would help her momentarily maybe for a few hours but then wear off. Her case might of been more severe then yours maybe but that's just how depression is, it starts out gradually and then workd its way up to a more severe case. One day, she became so frustrated the meds were giving her these side effects and practically not helping her at all and she was prescribed a really high doze already. She asked the doc to boost it up so maybe then it would work better but the doc said no, because that was the highest they could go otherwise she would die. She was still so depressed that one day she tried to commit suicide. She took more pills than she should have... (this is were I come to my conclusion bare with me) ...(CONTINUED>>>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ...She was so desperate, she later told us that before taking them she cried out to God asking him to free her from what she was going thru, if he really existed. And guess what? she survived. When Doctors said she shouldn't have. From that very same day on, she became free from her depression, free from her addiction to Xanax and never ever had to take them again. The doctors were amazed at her ultra fast recovery. In fact, they were so puzzled they could not figure out how she could have recovered in exactly 1 day. This was back in 1993, it is 2009 and all through these years, she is happier and healthier than ever, never again had one case of panic attack or depression. (CONTINUED>>>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have to say, I witnessed all this myself, so this is why I'm just trying to share this experience with you. I am not saying something I haven't seen with my own two eyes or wasn't a part of. Her depression affected me more than anyone will know. This not about trying to get you into a religion or anything like that, this is about you and your well being, that in turn, will definetly benefit you and of course your family, the ones you love the most. Its about taking a step of faith and trying out God! Yes, challenge him. He is here to help you and he loves you. Ask him if he is real, get me out of this!
    I don't want any meds, I don't want to have panic attacks, so help me please! The only thing required, is you say it with your heart and really mean it, an act of faith. That's all that is asked of you. That's exactly what my mother did. She knew she was at the (CONTINUED>>>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• verge already and pleaded with her whole heart and it happened. She recovered amazingly!
    This is only a suggestion, by no means feel obligated to do this. I just could not go by reading your question, knowing what I know, and not share this with you. It would be very heartless and selfish of my part. It is up to you to believe or not. But I really hope you are open to this possibility without any fear, doubt or debate in your mind. You will not regret it. I am open to PM if you feel the need to chat with me, just post an answer here and I will get in touch with you. I will give you my info. My best of luck to you.

P.S.
    I'm sorry this was so extended

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2009