How do you handle Mother's Day and Father's Day? Does anyone get upset about how you handle it?

We do Mother's Day, I pick what we do, who's family we see, Father's Day, my DH gets to pick what we do and who's family we go see. Then the Saturday before Mother's Day, we will spend the day with DH's mom, the Saturday before Father's Day, we spend with my family I don't see my dad but I go see my grandpa. My MIL doesn't like it because she wants DH to come over on Mother's day and spend the whole day with her but we have our immediate family and I have a family too. It would be great if we could see everyone on Mother's Day but that is just not a reality

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2012 in Holidays

• Irishlnspirit,that sucks, most custody orders will say that mom gets them on mother's day, dad gets them on father's day no matter who's weekend it is. If you have a standard order, check with you county on what that is because my county that is standard. However, I checked for you, assuming you do every other weekend this Mother's Day is on your ex's time but this Father's day is on you time. Perhaps y'all can agree to switch?
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2012

• we stay home and cook a family dinner...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2012

• my in-laws live far away so DH just calls them on the actual days. sometimes we do face-time w/ my MIL in the evenings and i kinda take that time to be alone. my parents live in town and we do lunch w/ them every Sunday so we're over there like normal. my parents and inlaws are all laid back about holidays & such...it makes things so much easier!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• My mother, father and step father are all deceased. I call my kids and my sister and a couple of my best friends and they call me on Mother's Day.
    RuthieJo1947

Answer by RuthieJo1947 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I think your way is great! It's fair at least I mean I understand that moms want to spend every holiday with their kids but once their kids get married, the do have to understand that theirs spouse has a family too
    loveMYkids5488

Answer by loveMYkids5488 at 7:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• My grandmother & mother are dead on my exs side I get cards and small gift for grandmother and greatgrandmother from my daughter
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:04 PM on May. 1, 2012