What would make a good first pet?

I am planning on getting my son (he'll be two years old in July) his first pet, to start introducing some routine responsibility to him, but I'm not sure what would make a good pet for him. I don't want to get him anything big, like a dog, since we live in an apartment and I'm not home all day to let it out. My sister suggested a rat, since they are easy to care for, do not require constant attention, and rarely bite (big fear of mine).

Kyndal_rae

Asked by Kyndal_rae at 12:18 AM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• i got my daughter who's 2 a fish and she loves to watch it and i have her feed it but i give her the amount of food to do so that's a good one to try for being the first one or a hermit crab then he could hold it and they don't carry germs so its safe and fun
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Not so sure about the rat, my friend has had rats with her kids on and off and she told me that half of them were biters, so you can never be sure. We started with a gold fish it was very easy, and also a beta fish very pretty to look at, then we got a kitten, now we are up to two dogs and three cats. I based it on the work invovled and cost of supplies, at 2 y/o you will be taking on most of the responsibility making sure cages are cleaned so I would make sure it is something you have time and money to take care of for me that was the biggest deciding factor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• How about a lizard? I did the fish thing for my son at 3 but it became more of my job then his since you had to empty the take & clean..etc. My 13 year old had a lizard & it was very low maintenance..& probably better than a fish.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i loved my rats, but i think thier too much for a two year old, id go w/ the first poster and do a fish. :)
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i wouldnt suggest a rat for a 2 yr old..even though it may be tame and not bite, it definately will when they smell food on your little ones fingers!! i would suggest a fish. Very easy going and low maintanence
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I got my two year old a fish as well. It was so much easier for him to take care of. And there was bonuses. It acted like a night light and helped him go to bed when it was bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Rats actually DO require lots of attention if you want them to be tame. They require more attention if they are alone in the cage. They're very social animals. Most people get them in pairs so they keep each other company.

I think a fish would be a good start honestly. We have a couple of cats and my boys take care of feeding them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would start with a gold fish and work my way up. Rats? Shiver! He is two...not responsible enough to really care for anything yet anyway. He can however feed a fish. If it dies flush and find a body double!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• For a two year old - nothing with too much responsibility - and if you get fish, be ready to clean yourself and to explain the facts of life and death a lot sooner (I don't believe in fish doubles - I believe in truth). When he's older and is ready to feed, clean and care for a pet himself, I would suggest a guinea pig - they are supposed to be excellent first pets - affectionate, easy to care for, they don't require the outside time of dogs - overall manageable.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Whatever you decide, just be prepared to take on full responsibility. I really wouldn't suggest anything for a 2yr old. Though if I had to suggest something I'd say a fish. He can help feed the fish each day. Depending on your set up and what you get for fish, clean up can be pretty darn stinky. Though, that can be said with any animal! lol
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 11:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2009